Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 Upgrade

I have a iMac G3 350Mhz Indigo, which I got for £15, it was working except it had no operating system so I bought a new Hard Drive off of eBay for about £12, but it had OS 9 installed. Now I want to upgrade the operating system so the highest it will go, which I believe is Panther. The iMac has 192MB of Ram, so would I need to upgrade the Ram for Panther? Also is it possible to partition the Hard Drive on OS 9 to have a partition for Panther and OS 9?

Many thanks in advance.

iMac

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 9:54 AM

1. You don't need to upgrade the RAM but should anyway.

2. Not without erasing the entire drive. Mac OS X and 9 can exist and both be bootable on a single partition.

(94284)

11 replies

Dec 8, 2013 4:38 PM in response to CHughes98

You may consider checking into the Firmware Update version that computer hardware would require for it to run OS X and not have a failure of some sort. That update would be installed in a non-OS X system and before OS X is run, you should discover if the Firmware had been updated.

There are a few places to check to see if someone had already updated the firmware, though I don't remember where they are and no longer use OS 9.x, Classic, or have a dual-boot PPC computer.

Been some years since I last had to check into this, and so I have totally forgotten the process. There should be some information if you search online using terms to include that computer model and Firmware Update. There still may be links toward that end in Apple Support; I've found older things most difficult to locate there, though.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

iMac G3 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.