Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently turn off read-only

> New Laptop (Windows8 os)

> downloaded the new iTunes (11.(something))

> RIP'd some burned disks

> Can't edit info

I saw this on other forums, but I can't find them anymore.

> Contacted apple support

> Tech showed me how to turn red-only off on indiviual songs

>select song

>left click

>show in windows explorer

>select individual/group of song(s)

>left click

>properties

>uncheck read-only

>apply

Unfortunately that would be helpful if I didn't have 20+ more CDs to RIP. I asked if there was a more permanent and one-time solution and he said he didn't know how to, can anyone help me?

FYI I looked through administrative rights in security tab and it said I was able to modify, but I can't.

SIDE NOTE: Apple please put itunes in your "product" drop down list... I'm not sure why it's not in there already.

iTunes 11-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 4:43 PM

5 replies

Dec 8, 2013 6:34 PM in response to turingtest2

I thank you for the troubleshooting but I am not concerned with what is causing the issue. I am not looking to re-locate and spend hours and hours of moving around files for something that is rather rediculous. I am looking for a simple preferance solution, or work-around, there should be one. In every other version of itunes this is a non-issue. I just talked to apple care supervisor and she said apple made it so that you can't edit songs unless music came from them or is in their native format. I think apple gone over-board on the anti-piracy bandwagon...

Can anyone link me to an older version of itunes where this isn't an issue

Dec 8, 2013 5:16 PM in response to BMsWag

Repair iTunes Security Permissions

Right-click on your main iTunes folder and click Properties, then go to the Security tab and click Advanced. Use the Change Permissions... button grant to your account (or the Users group) and SYSTEM full control of this folder, subfolders and files, then tick the option to Replace permissions entries... which will repair permissions throughout the library. When complete switch to the General tab, click in the Read-only check box to clear it, then click Apply.

User uploaded file

If you don't have the option to change the permissions then use the Owner tab and Edit... button to take ownership from an account with administrator privileges. Tick the option to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

Repeat with the media folder if it isn't stored inside the main iTunes folder.

tt2

Dec 8, 2013 5:34 PM in response to turingtest2

I voted too soon this didn't help. I think you're using windows 7 and I am on 8 but I dont think that is making that big of a difference. I don't store my music in the itunes folder. I changed ownership and it still doesnt permit that option you show. and lastly, the end it of your tip, it says, repeat steps in the media, which is what I was trying to avoid all together!

Dec 9, 2013 1:39 AM in response to BMsWag

BMsWag wrote:

I just talked to apple care supervisor and she said apple made it so that you can't edit songs unless music came from them or is in their native format.

This is not the case. I run the latest build of iTunes and can edit my tags just fine.

For iTunes to be able to edit tag metadata the files must not be set to read-only, your account must have full access rights, so too must the SYSTEM account. New files created in a folder inherit the rights from those already there which in turn often come from the parent folder, and those in turn from its parent folder, up to the root of the drive or wherever they are explicitly set. Once you fix the access rights in the correct place and ensure the new rights are correctly inherited, the problem should go away. I'm not suggesting you need to move anything, just correct the security permissions.

I've recently installed a copy of Windows 8 to test it out. Not impressed so far. I'll try to take a look later at the corresponding dialog box to see what the differences are between it and 7.

tt2

How do I permanently turn off read-only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.