Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need a newer version of Page to open document

I couldn't be more frustrated with Apple right now. I installed iworks 09 from a disk. I bought it on Amazon. I wrote a document with it yesterday. Today I can't open it. It says that I need a newer version of Page to open it. It instructs me to go to the Apple Store and upgrade. When I go there won't allow me to update because I have the Lion operating system. I've already installed Maverick and it was so problematic I reinstalled Lion. Why can't I open a document I just wrote using the version I bought? Any ideas? Thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:23 PM

Well, never mind. I changed the name of my document and it opened. I have no idea why that happened. So don't reply. Or do, if you have an idea why such a thing would happen.

Sorry.

3 replies

Dec 8, 2013 7:32 PM in response to danmonsterman

You may have had 2 versions of Pages in Mavericks. The newer Pages 5 and the older, probably Pages '09, which can't open newer files.

You tried opening a newer file with an older Pages.

Just be wary, Apple has removed over 90 features from Pages 5.

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=3527487677f0c 6fa05b6297cd00f8eb9&mforum=iworktipsntrick

Pages '09 should still be in your Applications/iWork folder.

Peter

Dec 8, 2013 7:44 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thank you Peter. You are probably right. Two weeks ago I bought iworks 09 from Amazon. I loaded it on my computer and realized there was a newer version. I tried to upgrade but got the message about needing Maverick to upgrade Pages. So I upgraded to Maverick, then upgraded Pages and imovie. What a mistake!! I do lots of work with video. First, all of the aspect ratios of my videos changed. No one ever figured out why. That problem persisted into imovie 10.0.1. Then my new Thunderbolt monitor wouldn't work with Maverick. Turns out that was a known issue with Maverick. I tried for two weeks to find answers to these, and other issues. I finally quit altogether and re-installed Lion. Re-installed the iworks 09 I bought. And re-installed the older version of imovie (9.0.8). Everything worked again! Because the re-install erased everything on the hard drive, I was sure there wouldn't be remnants of the new Pages on here. But maybe there is. Obviously something strange happened. Thank you for your time. Sorry about my rant. It has been a very frustrating time.

Need a newer version of Page to open document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.