Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Intermediate Codec for simple workflow?

Hello,

sometimes I record a television from cable set, the movie is stored as .ts, so I transform it per Toast or MPEG Streaming to QT .mov, then build a SD DVD with iDVD (all on an old MBP with Lion). Codec was in last time AIC because I thougt it is the most simple workflow.

Now I read AIC is just used for HD. Would you prefer for this another codec?

Thanks, Karl

MBP mid 2007; iMac G5; iMac G4; ibook 2002, Mac OS X (10.7), also 10.4 (iMac flat) and MacOS 9…

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 10:07 PM

If your using AIC with no problems go ahead and continue to use it. AIC is for both SD and HD videos.

4 replies

Dec 9, 2013 7:46 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

Is there a new fact or issue with Mavericks, (I dont use it jet)?

The QT X v10.3 media player and QL no longer actively support the AIC content. If you try to open an AIC file in the QT v10.3, it will automatically try to convert it to H.264/AAC MOV content nor can it be previewed with QL. Mavericks now natively includes an active Apple ProRes 422 encoding component which Apple appears to now consider the default "intermediate" video compression format. However, QT 7 will still display and/or process any AIC file normally and I believe the latest version of iMovie will still accept AIC as a natively supported source file format since edited projects are exported to H.264/AAC M4V by default.

User uploaded file

Apple Intermediate Codec for simple workflow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.