Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP: mail.app Unable to Verify Message Signature error.

Recently all the messages I send via Mail.app are showing a yellow error at the top:

Unable to verify message signature.

Mail was unable to verify the authenticity of the S/MIME certificate provided by "xxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.com". Message signed by this user may be coming from a different source.

(where xxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.com is my email address)

Issue is that Mail.app is signing the messages with a self signed root certificate.

I never set Mail.app to use a self signed certificate, nor can I find where to stop if from doing so.
I've deleted the certificate from the keychain, but it keeps adding it back in.

I've even tried deleting Mail.app and reinstalling Mavericks, but no luck.

I am sooooooooo furstrated!!!
Can anyone please please please help.

My email is unusable in this condition and I rely on it for work and more.
Anyone have any ideas how to fix this issue?

THANK YOU.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac (24-inch), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies

Jan 15, 2014 7:13 AM in response to redesigned

Tuttle's reply fixed this for me and I am also using Mavericks.

The way to make the changes below is to start a new message.

To stop generating signatures

In OS-X Mail, compose a new message. At the bottom-right of the New Message address panel, you should see two extra icons (just to the right of the "Signature" menu). One icon looks like a padlock, the other like a star-burst balloon. When Mail is set to digitally sign messages, the star-burst balloon will have a small "check-mark" in the center:

User uploaded file

To set the Mail application to stop signing mail, you need to click the star-burst balloon to make it have a small "X" in the center, which indicates that the message will not be digitally signed:
User uploaded file

The sender only needs to do this once, and Mail will remember not to sign any more messages.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP: mail.app Unable to Verify Message Signature error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.