Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto showing duplicate libraries - any idea why?

See screen shot. When I option/open iphoto or switch libraries from within iphoto... I see a duplicate library of the same library. Both point to the exact same place when you hover over them. Any idea why or how to solve this? Thanks!User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 9:43 PM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Yer_Man

TD, thanks.

Yeah, seems harmless since both open library fine... but drives someone like me (OCD-like 😉) crazy!

Can I pick your brain... I just ordered a new rMBP that is on its way. I want to transfer everthing (lots of imovie and iphoto data) from my 2009MBP to my new rMBP.

Do you recommend Migration Assistant for this? Or manual move?

I am a little nervous about it moving over any potential errors in the system database/library (? proper name) from old to new MBP.

Then again, it would be nice to have all my other stuff moved over (i.e. keychain, other files, user preferences, etc).

Any thoughts on this since a large part of what I do is iphoto and imovie?

thanks.

Dec 9, 2013 2:23 PM in response to Tigervision

No - do not use Migration assistant on the iPhoto library -

Migration assistance does not handle the iPhoto library well sometimes - the best way is to connect the two systems together (network, firewire target mode, etc) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old system to the pictures folder of the new system and launch iPhoto on the new system - it will open and convert the iPhoto library as necessary and you will be fine - once you test the iPhoto library you can delete the one on the desktop

No recommendation on non iPhoto moves

LN

Dec 9, 2013 3:42 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks LN.....

will do.

Have you ever used Migration assistant?

Any recs on using at first boot up of a new mac or after starting up.

Also, I have several iphoto libraries on an EHD... once I have new computer up and running with Mavericks and new iphoto... I guess all I need to do is open each library one at a time with new system to convert each library?

thanks.

Dec 9, 2013 4:32 PM in response to LarryHN

Not for years - I do know that it often does not do the iPhoto library well - you can try it on the first start up and see - test iPhoto right away and if there are issues drag the iPhoto library on the new system to the trash (wait to empty) and drag it from the old library to the pictures folder - that should give you a good iPhoto library

LN

Iphoto showing duplicate libraries - any idea why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.