Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merging iphoto libraries from an external drive?

Hey there-

In pickle here and could use some help.

1) My old MBP was running out of HD space so I put my iPhoto library on to an external hard drive.

2) Last week that old MBP died! I can target boot to it but it doesn't boot up by itself.

3) I have a newer MBP that I use. How can I merge the library from the external to my new MBP? Hate to lose all my family photos!

Thanks for you help!

Dooki

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), iOS 6.1.5

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 9:22 PM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2013 9:28 PM in response to Dooki-san

You can only merge libraries using Aperture if you have a version of iphoto that can share libraries with Aperture or using the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ -

if you have photos in your current iPhoto library you can renmae it and then drag the old iPhoto library to the pictures folder and switch libraries by depressing the option key and holding it until the select library window comes up rather than merging the libraries

LN

Dec 8, 2013 10:07 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry,

I've read other people recommend iPhoto Library Manager. I'll look in to this.

As for dragging old photos over: so are you saying renaming my current library (iPhoto library02) and then copy the old iPhoto library to the new pictures fold, right? Then holding option key will only let me chose which library to boot from right? If so, then if I want to boot from " iPhoto01" I need to hold option and chose again?

Thanks,

-Dooki

merging iphoto libraries from an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.