Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i connect my non apple laptop to my iMac and use the iMac as an extra/dual screen while using my laptop?

Got a new laptop from work, no choice on the type, but want to plug it's docking station into my iMac so I can use dual screens while using the laptop. Can I use the Ethernet port for this?

iMac, Got a new laptop from work today.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 11:00 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Target Display mode only supports Late 2009 and Mid 2010 27-inch iMacs, and Mid 2011 and newer iMacs to use them as external displays, but it only works over Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, not Ethernet.

Your PC needs Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt (depending on your iMac) to be able to use your iMac as an external display, so it is probably that you cannot use the iMac as an external display. Instead, look for information in the Internet about VNC viewers that allow you to do that

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2013 11:00 PM in response to DKMcC

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Target Display mode only supports Late 2009 and Mid 2010 27-inch iMacs, and Mid 2011 and newer iMacs to use them as external displays, but it only works over Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, not Ethernet.

Your PC needs Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt (depending on your iMac) to be able to use your iMac as an external display, so it is probably that you cannot use the iMac as an external display. Instead, look for information in the Internet about VNC viewers that allow you to do that

Feb 3, 2015 12:45 PM in response to DKMcC

Were you able to figure out any way to connect your Lenovo and use iMac as a second display, or did you just end up giving up? I'm trying to do the same - I have a Lenovo laptop that does not have Thunderbolt. I'm wondering if there is any way we can convert MiniDisplay to Thunderbolt signals or vice versa (via an adaptor) on either one of the devices to make them compatible.

Does anyone know if there is a product out there that does this? Or any way to use an iMac in Target Display with a PC?

Thanks!

Can i connect my non apple laptop to my iMac and use the iMac as an extra/dual screen while using my laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.