Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X won't recognize 120 FPS

I recorded 120 FPS video on my iPhone 5S. I have 3 files. All of them are beautifully played Slo-Mo in Quicktime. The files are ok I assume. Somehow FCPX just doesn't get all of the files right. 2 are recognized 120 FPS, I can slow them down to 25 % speed smoothly (30 FPS-project). One file is recognized wrongly, FCPX says it's a 30-FPS-File. I can slow it down to 25 %, but as soon as FCPX starts rendering, the video is unacceptedly worsened. This is annoying. Does anybody know a way to tell FCPX how many FPS a file actually has?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 1:51 AM

18 replies

Dec 9, 2013 2:59 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Lighting was bright as with the other clips that got recognized properly. Project is 30 FPS. When I conform the other to clips FCPX slows them down correctly to 25 %. They look great. No dropped or repeated frames. Just as viewed in Quicktime. This one file though does'n change speed when using conform speed. When I slow it down manually it looks as great as the other two clips. Until FCPX renders. Is there any way to prevent FCPX from false-rendering my clip?

Thanks for your help!!

Dec 9, 2013 5:03 AM in response to Manuel Koeng

If QuickTime played it at 30fps it would look like slow motion. I think QT plays whatever frame rate it is. A video editing application can't do that. It has to assume it's part of a project that has to be a fixed frame rate. Except in iPhone land video can't sometimes be 30fps in one place and be 114.94 some place else. Try it in iMovie. Whether it works probably depends on the version you're using.

Dec 9, 2013 5:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

It does look like slow motion in Quicktime. Worse for FCPX, iMovie 10.01 handles the file perfectly, playing it as slow and smooth as quicktime. I can export it in mpg4 at 29,97 FPS. And then re-import it in FCPX where it's now shown in slow motion. So it comes really down to FCPX not knowing how to treat that file. Every other Apple-App does. I need a free app to tell the pro app how to do things...:-( Hopefully Apple will resolve that problem. I like to play around the iPhone camera even though it arguably isn't fit for more serious tasks. What do you think?

Dec 9, 2013 7:48 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I should buy a GoPro! But it's not always with me! ;-) 29.97 was the result when I importet the clip into iMovie, put it on the timeline (where it showed a turtle for being a slow motion clip) and exported it as MPEG4 without any changes. Didn't use iMovie once. So this was all standard settings. Mysterious ways. At least I have a workaround...

I found another clip with a framerate just below 120. FCPX didn't accept it either. Everything above is ok. Wheter it's exactly 120 or 123,4 doesn't matter. So the problem is not the uncommon (or maybe even variable) framerate. It's that it doesn't reach 120. I wonder why iMovie can do it.

Dec 9, 2013 10:34 AM in response to Manuel Koeng

in QT X there is a button in the movie controller that turns slomo off and on. It's probably set to on so it plays slow in the player.

Got the video. Thanks.

I think I see what you're seeing in FCP. Make sure playback preference is set to high quality not better performance. Also make sure you are working with optimizied media not the original compressed format.

Dec 9, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

It's not helping. In fact, optimizing media "kills" most of the frames and reduces the clip to 30 FPS. That's because FCP thinks it's a 30 FPS-Clip anyway. I still see no way to convince FCP of the truth here. If you could enter the exact speed percentage you could calculate your way out of the problem. To slow 114,94 FPS down to 30 you must tell FCP to play the clip at 26.1 % speed. But you can't enter exact numbers. But the closer you get there the fewer dropped or doubled frames.. But still. iMovie-workaround seems easier. Doesn't have to be MPEG4 as a result... Just a real 30 FPS clip...

Final Cut Pro X won't recognize 120 FPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.