Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Hanging on start up and close

Aperture 3.4.5. Pixelmator 3

Recently having repeated problems with Aperture hanging. Only happens when opening or closing the app. No problems at all when using.

When opening: Dock icon bounces as normal, "Aperture" appears top left. Beachball spins. Icon remains 'open' but no window appears and "Aperture" disappears from top left.

When closing: Window shuts down but icon remains active in dock

Either way Force Quit is necessary.

One additional thing - I need to test this more thoroughly - the problem seems to occur only when Pixelmator is in use. There is an older question about a possible Pixelmator issue which received no answers. I have also had problems with Pixelmator since latest release but no idea whether they could be related.

So far I have: repaired Permissions, Re-built all 3 active libraries (I have 3 archive libraries also but never in use); Trashed Plists for both apps - this appears to have solved the Pixelmator problems only.

Any help appreciated

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27" | 2.7 Core i5 | 12GB Ram

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 1:58 AM

9 replies

Dec 18, 2013 11:19 AM in response to manofdogz

135 views and no replies? Anyone got any ideas? problems are worsening.

I now have a completely new problem - no idea if related - whereby my images have brightly coloured 'noise' on highlight areas sometimes just a smttering of red or blue spots, sometimes much worse.

I can't re-create this issue in iPhoto using (obviously) the same libraries, and neither does it occur in preview or other photo apps.

Today re-installed Aperture 3.4.5 but no improvement

Dec 18, 2013 12:11 PM in response to manofdogz

In summary Reinstall of Aperture has sorted out the original problem. Prior to this I repaired permissions, repaired and later rebuilt libraries - all to no avail. I also checked all previews and reprocessed where necessary - also no use.

Re-installing as an App purchase is simple. put the app in the trash, go to the app store and re-install. Much easier than all the other stuff!

Anyone else has similar problem, hope this helps

Dec 18, 2013 12:30 PM in response to manofdogz

Are you allowed to tick "this solved my problem" when you find the answer yourself? lol

Sure, you are allowed to do that. That will close the thread and mark your answer as the solution, so others can find it. Only you will not receive any reputation point for solving your own question.

But good, that you could get it sorted out.

Aperture Hanging on start up and close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.