Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition HD OSX 10.8

I am selling a MBP and want to Partition the HD to wipe the MBP but it wont let me the option to choose the partition amount is greyed out

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), MacPro, MBP, iPad 2, iPhone 5

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 6:02 AM

8 replies

Dec 9, 2013 5:26 PM in response to marc smith6

You need to do it while booted into a different disk's volume; e.g., an ext HD connected to the machine. If the MBP came with SL or earlier, use the install discs. If a later OS, use Recovery mode to erase and repartition the HD, then tell the buyer how to boot into Internet Recovery to reinstall the OS the machine shipped with. That way, they get to use their AppleID to register the machine.

Dec 10, 2013 1:50 AM in response to baltwo

Hi

Not sure what is going on here. I have inserted the origianl start up disks pressed C to boot from it and all I get is 3 beeping sounds. Previous to that I booted into the Recovery disk (⌘ + R) and tried to partition the main HD. I selected it and got an error saying 'Couldn't unmount disk'

All I want to do is wipe the machine before I send it on.

Dec 10, 2013 3:38 PM in response to marc smith6

If the HD or its volumes won't unmount, then reboot with the install disc, and see if the Terminal app is under the Utilities menu. If so, run this:

diskutil unmountDisk force /Volumes/DISK_NAME

Just replace DISK_NAME with the volume name (yes, it’s case sensitive) and hit the return key. Then, quit the Terminal app and retry Disk Utility.

Partition HD OSX 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.