Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play music from macbook in a DLNA compatible device (network connected)

Hi, I am struggling a bit... I want to play the music on my macbook just like "air play" to the difference that the recipient of the music is the CD player which connected to the network. I'd like to run music on my MacBook and have it played/sent to a Yamaha CD-N500 (connected to my amp) wich is linked to my internet router, the MacBook is is linked to the netwoprk through wifi.

There is something I could achieve. I was able to play music (which is physicaly on my macbook) via the CD-N500 using its network possibilities.
For that to happen I had to install a DLNA server software (Serviio) on my cacbook, define the music location I want to share on the newtork, and the CD-N500 could see the locations of those files.

So basically it works one way, but not the other. If someone can help, would appreciate.

Thanks for your help

(I know it is possible to do so under Windows, when playing the music one can select "send to Yamaha CD-N500"...)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 8:00 AM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2013 2:11 PM in response to Brownian_

Seriously unbelievable there is not a software that allowas to push music from iTunes to DLNA device...

For instance if your target is a Yamaha device there could be a solution.
1) you share your music in iTunes (Preferences>Sharing)
2) with the app "Yam Network Player Controler" you may play what's on your macbook

However even though it is not very convinient... I am afrdiad it is the only solution left !

Dec 10, 2013 9:33 AM in response to iperera

Hello! I may have a solution, hear me out. All DLNA devices must be connected wired through the router (not modem)., Amps, TV's etc right. Your Laptop should be wirelessly or Mac in order to make a connection, I'm sure you know this by now. Here is the thing Serviio is kind of complicated for me believe it or not I use Miro player it never lets me down, it really works try it out. And for your IOS devices use iMediaShare personal version it detects all your DLNA devices flawlessly. Hope you solve your problem. Good day to ya!

Dec 10, 2013 1:49 PM in response to clecus

Hello Clecus, thanks for try but this doesnt work.

Like I wrote above there is a Yamaha App for iPhone/iPad that allows you to play music from the ietem running the app to the DLNA device (here the cd player).

What I am trying to achieve is the same from my macbook. I want to play/push music from laptop to a DLNA device.

I am just waiting for Yamaha's response before investing in a YBA-11 (http://fr.yamaha.com/fr/products/audio-visual/accessories/wireless-accessories/y ba-11_w/?mode=model) - sorry for the french site.

Dec 12, 2013 11:59 AM in response to iperera

Well after many tries I have the solution, many thanks to Yamaha help guys, brilliant !

Twonky Manager is the solution (http://twonky.com/downloads/).

It directly recognized the CD-500 once installed, choose a track and play it in your device. I presume it works with any DLNA device.

To summarise: the DLNA device is connected to the network through wire, the macbook via wifi

Cheers, IP

Play music from macbook in a DLNA compatible device (network connected)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.