Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if my iphone Network Selection is on Automatic, is it open to any Network??

Network Selection is on Automatic, is it open to any Network? Wasn't sure my iphone 4 says it and so does the iphone 3GS. i want to give the 3 to my mom who works on Nato base in Germany so needs it open to any Network as dad uses Vodaphone.

thanks so much

Kim Johnson

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 10:14 AM

If the option is set to automatic, you phone will choose the SIM card carrier. Only if this carrier is not available the phone will switch to another provider without asking. If you want to avoid possible roaming charges in that case, disable the automatic option and select the carrier from the list shown below.

Check also page 48 of the iphone_user_guide

Select a carrier network. Go to Settings > Carrier. This setting appears on GSM networks when you’re outside your carrier’s network, and other local carrier data networks are available to use for your phone calls, visual voicemail, and cellular network Internet connections. You can make calls only on carriers that have a roaming agreement with your carrier. Additional fees may apply. Roaming charges may be billed to you by the other carrier, through your carrier.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Kimla10

If the option is set to automatic, you phone will choose the SIM card carrier. Only if this carrier is not available the phone will switch to another provider without asking. If you want to avoid possible roaming charges in that case, disable the automatic option and select the carrier from the list shown below.

Check also page 48 of the iphone_user_guide

Select a carrier network. Go to Settings > Carrier. This setting appears on GSM networks when you’re outside your carrier’s network, and other local carrier data networks are available to use for your phone calls, visual voicemail, and cellular network Internet connections. You can make calls only on carriers that have a roaming agreement with your carrier. Additional fees may apply. Roaming charges may be billed to you by the other carrier, through your carrier.

if my iphone Network Selection is on Automatic, is it open to any Network??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.