Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 10.3 how to export/save as mp4 (Mavericks)

Hi,

in Quicktime in Mavericks, is no option to save a mp4 Stream as mp4 File, i can only save as mov.

How can i save a mp4 stream as mp4?

mfg Meru

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 3:47 PM

in Quicktime in Mavericks, is no option to save a mp4 Stream as mp4 File, i can only save as mov.

You have several options.

1) If the MOV file only contains MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC content, then you can change the ".mov" file extension to ".mp4" and most files will work as if the MOV container was actually an MP4 container.

2) If the MOV file contains MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC plus other content (e.g., an AC3 audio stream or an TEXT chapter track), then you can use the free MPEG Streamclip app to copy the MPEG-4 video and audio data to a real MP4 file container and simultaneously filter out non-MP4 file data tracks.

3) If you want to convert QT conversion compatible A/V files to H.264/AAC data and the M4V container (functionally the same as the MP4 container but limits video to H.264, allows additional data tracks like secondary AC3 audio and/or TEXT chapter tracks, and normally defaults to iTunes as the "open with..." app) is acceptable for your purposes, then you can use the Maverics "context menu" conversion option to convert single or multiple files at the "Finder" level under Mavericks.

4) Use QT 7 Pro, MPEG Streamclip, HsandBreak (or any similar app) to manually convert files directly from their original compression format to an MP4 file instread of creating an intermediate MOV file.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Meru_Mario

You have several options.

1) If the MOV file only contains MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC content, then you can change the ".mov" file extension to ".mp4" and most files will work as if the MOV container was actually an MP4 container.

2) If the MOV file contains MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC plus other content (e.g., an AC3 audio stream or an TEXT chapter track), then you can use the free MPEG Streamclip app to copy the MPEG-4 video and audio data to a real MP4 file container and simultaneously filter out non-MP4 file data tracks.

3) If you want to convert QT conversion compatible A/V files to H.264/AAC data and the M4V container (functionally the same as the MP4 container but limits video to H.264, allows additional data tracks like secondary AC3 audio and/or TEXT chapter tracks, and normally defaults to iTunes as the "open with..." app) is acceptable for your purposes, then you can use the Maverics "context menu" conversion option to convert single or multiple files at the "Finder" level under Mavericks.

4) Use QT 7 Pro, MPEG Streamclip, HsandBreak (or any similar app) to manually convert files directly from their original compression format to an MP4 file instread of creating an intermediate MOV file.

User uploaded file

Dec 10, 2013 2:41 PM in response to Meru_Mario

If i rename this file Quicktime 10.3 try to convert it into a MOV before playing.

If QT X v10.3 is trying to convert the file, the the source file is nor recognized as containing MPEG-4 data, is in a proprietary MPEG-4 compression format which is not compatible with QT X, or is a compressed using non-standard/hybrid settings which trigger conversion.

to 2-4, i dont want to Convert the file, im want to save the mp4 as a mp4 not as a MOV file.

What are you saying here? Are you saying you are trying to save MPEG-2 compressed data to an MPEG-4 file container without converting the data? If so, it ain't gonna happen without conversion.

As previously said, QT compatible MPEG-4 data in an MOV file container will normally play in most apps if you simply change the ".mov" extension to ".mp4" and no conversion is involved. Or, MPEG Streamclip can copy MPEG-4 streams from either MOV or M4V file containers to a "real" MP4 file container—again, without any conversion.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2016 7:26 PM in response to Jon Walker

My question is when I go to save a ".mp4" HD movie, QuickTime 7 changes the movie from a .mp4 to a .mov. I want to keep the movie as a .mp4 file. I also tried to use the Export function but it dramatically reduced the quality.

I find it odd that this is hard to do because I'm starting out with a .mp4 file, and I want to keep it as .mp4 file.

Any advice is appreciated.

Quicktime 10.3 how to export/save as mp4 (Mavericks)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.