You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme connect to ADSL modem

I'm trying to get my Netgear ADLS modem working with my Airport Extreme, which is much harder than it should be for some reason.

I have entered my ISP info into my ADSL modem (set up as DCHP server) & it connects, I can plug a network cable direct to my laptop & all is fine the internet is as it should be. I then connect a network cable to my Airport Extreme & begin setup.

I hit the internet tab > Connect using > DHCP>IPV4>192.168.1.2>router address>DNS server all entered correctly.

Network Tab > Off (bridge mode)

Wireless>Create a network & enter all the relevant information.

I then do the update. reboot the ADSL modem, just incase. All apears to be ok but I can only connect 1 device at a time. It would seem that IP's are not being given to any other devices & if I manually type an IP into another device it still wont connect.

I've been trying for a good few hours with no sucsess changing various options but nothing seem to work. Any help would be greatly received.

TC

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 11:02 AM

12 replies

Dec 9, 2013 12:57 PM in response to Toby C

Welcome to the discussions, Toby C!

What is the model number of your Netgear modem?

All apears to be ok but I can only connect 1 device at a time. It would seem that IP's are not being given to any other devices & if I manually type an IP into another device it still wont connect.

This tells me that your modem is providing only one valid IP address, not multiple IP addresses as it should do if it has been configured to provide DHCP and NAT services for the network.

Dec 9, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Toby C

It sounds like you are setting static address on the Extreme.. don't.. just go to the airport utility, internet tab and select dhcp.

User uploaded file

And the Network to Off (bridge mode).

User uploaded file

If it continues to fail, are you on 7.6.4 firmware??

Tell us because I think there is a major bug with WAN port on this one.. try taking the firmware back to 7.5.2 which IMHO will be a lot more reliable on a Gen2 AE.

Dec 9, 2013 2:43 PM in response to Toby C

Bob is probably right on this one..

The DM111P often uses a setup called 1:1 NAT..

It is not bridged or full router.. it is a kind of inbetween.

Would that it were one or the other.. it would be a much better box.

The one to one NAT means you still need to use another NAT router with it.. which means you have to use DHCP + NAT in the network tab.. and then have issues with double NAT problem.. but in this case you can ignore it.

Double NAT is caused by having two private IP address ranges.

But 1:1 NAT is a very special case.. it is known as true NAT. (NAT in routers is really NAPT, it is one public to many private address. True NAT is one public to one private)

It is translating a public to private IP without any controls .. all packets are simply forwarded across the NAT.

If possible I would strongly recommend bridging the Netgear and using PPPoE on the Apple router.. it is far better.. but the netgear is problematic to bridge.

Dec 9, 2013 2:44 PM in response to Toby C

Sorry, I have not used this modem.

LaPastenague has good advice for you above. Please follow his instructions.

Netgear calls this product a "modem/router", so if the settings are correct, the Netgear produt will provide multiple IP addresses to connected clients on the network.

In Bridge Mode, the AirPort simply passes through the settings to connected clients.

If you have confirmed that the AirPort is in Bridge Mode, and only one device can connect, then the modem is either not configured correctly......or......it is not operating correctly.

Dec 9, 2013 2:58 PM in response to LaPastenague

I did try the DHCP & NAT setting & as you said it caused a double NAT conflict. I'll downgrade the airport firmware & try it out again. Maybe a better quality ADSL modem would be the answer. I'm not sure I'll be able to bridge the netgear.

Thanks for the advice folks. Very good stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dec 9, 2013 3:58 PM in response to Toby C

If it is setup as i suggested.. a double NAT conflict is not a big problem.. it is simply how that particular modem works.

I'm not sure I'll be able to bridge the netgear.

They are a known pain.

We often tell people just buy a more standard modem.. tp-link 8817 about the cheapest for short line.. or 8960N which is cheapest broadcom we can get that has full access to the CLI. Both are easy as to bridge.

Of course your ISP has to support PPPoE authentication.. if they do.. then this is the best way to handle it.

Feb 26, 2014 2:44 AM in response to LaPastenague

I hope to upgrade a WIFI network for a small institution in Nepal. We all use Apple computers and iOS devices, so it made sense to try to use an Apple router. Moreover, from my experience in the US, I believe the Apple router will be better and easier to manage. I also hope to get the strongest singnal possible to distribute over one medium-large buidling; simply looking around I am confident an Airport Extreme will blanket this place in WIFI, no problem.

I'm in slightly unfamilair territory with "adsl" as well as simply not having access to many computer stores. We're in a pretty rurual area. Nonetheless, my family and friends in Kathmandu (the capital) use Apple routers; they don't need a modem because they get an ethernet cable directly into their homes.

So I am writing because I cannot discern if ASDL modems and Apple routers don't mix or is it simply a case of getting the correct modem? Above, you recommend one tp-link modem and one tp-link wireless router.

If it normally, isn't a problem to connect an "adsl" modem and Apple router, what is the best modem to get?

Also, what did you mean by "short line" and "broadcom"?

Thank and take care, Jesse

Feb 26, 2014 3:15 AM in response to Jess1911

ADSL is tricky.. to get the best out of the equipment you need to have some understanding of how it works..

Apple don't like me giving foreign forums.. but look up how adsl works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_digital_subscriber_line

Both models I suggested are modem routers..

True pure modems for adsl don't exist anymore.. so the first step is to decide how bad your line is..

http://www.warcom.com.au/blog/informative/what-does-snr-line-attenuation-really- mean/

The further you are from the exchange or a roadside box that contains the connection equipment the lower the speed and worse the stability often.

The cheap modems are good on short lines.. say up to 2km.. but over that you need a better grade of modem.. so the 8960N is a modem router that uses the broadcom chipset. It is superior to the Trendchip used in the 8817 on longer lines.. on shorter lines it won't make any difference.

Apple can act as a router.. but there are a number of preconditions.

The ISP must support PPPoE authentication.. if not then Apple cannot be the router.

And the ISP must be support you using your own router.. some provide a modem router that is locked.. That happens even in the US and UK. In Australia we tell people never ever let an ISP suck you in like that.. but in Nepal you get what you are given.

Work within the boundaries.. !!

If you need help just ask but you need to give me as much info as you can.

Feb 26, 2014 6:33 AM in response to LaPastenague

This is very useful and clear. I wish I could give you points for answering.

I logged into our current 2wire modem/router and amoung other things see that the "connection type" is PPPoE. From that may I conclude that the ISP supports PPPoE authentication?

I do have homework to do and appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I will certainly touch base if necessary and as my information becomes concrete.

In the realm of the hypothetical, with these combo modem/routers, the Apple router will still work? I guess it must given your advice above, but I wanted to be sure.

For other questions I'll start a new thread.

Feb 26, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Jess1911

Yes, start a thread.. it is better to keep your issues and answers in one place.

The combo modem router will still work as you just bridge the apple router. It works fine in bridge as an AP and switch. And can extend the network in the same way you are used to.

Everything then depends on the quality of the NAT in the 2wire router..

IMHO the ones we have seen in Australia.. excellent modems.. crummy routers. I often recommend to people in poor adsl locations to buy a second hand 2wire.. it has great line diagnostics and works great on poor lines.

It is a dog to bridge.. but you can google for the method.

If the modem is set to pppoe, then as long as you know the username and password.. you can bridge the 2wire and use the apple's pppoe client. This generally works ok.. save the modems setup before you start and make sure you don't lock yourself out.

You can contact me via my website, email is there. I cannot post details here.

Airport Extreme connect to ADSL modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.