Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems opening iPhoto 9.2.3

Help. I have read countless posts and spent hours trying to resolve this issue to no avail.

I have a MacBookPro with OSX 10.6.8. I can't open iPhoto 9.2.3. The error message says "You have made changes to your iPhoto library using a newer version of iPhoto. You can't open your current iPhoto library using this version" I have tried repairing permissions with no success. I have also tried restoring from time machine but the restored version (Jan 2013) had the same problem. I have not used any other version of iPhoto so I have no idea what caused this error message. In addition to time machine, I have backed up my iPhoto library on an external drive by dragging and dropping the file on the external drive. Perhaps that could have damaged the library?

I don't want to rebuild my iphoto library as all post who recommend this indicate that i would lose my iPhoto books in the process which is the primary reason for using iPhoto.

I also have Aperture 3.2.4.

I would consider upgrading to Lion which would enable me to up grade to iPhoto 11, if it could resolve my issue. Anyone ever encounter this problem or have any ideas?

Gratefully, iPhoto victim.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 12:01 PM

8 replies

Dec 9, 2013 12:08 PM in response to 8151205

1 - the soluiton is rebuilding your ihoto library - Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your database

2 - this does not delete yoru books and if there is any sort of a problem you have the backup to go back to

3 - rebuilding using iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - does not keep bpoopks but that probably is not necessary

4 - upgrading while your library is corrupted will not usualy solve anything - it usually makes things worse

LN

Dec 9, 2013 1:12 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry HN. I really appreciate your quick reply. I just tried rebuilding my library. It didn't take too long to rebuild but didn't solve the problem. The same error message showed up when i tried to open iPhoto. I could try iPhoto Library Manager as your suggestion in 3 but there you do specifically say that it does not keep iPhoto books so I am thinking this would not be a good option for me.

Thanks for suggesting I AVOID upgrading until I've resolved this issue.

YIKES....still in distress.

Dec 10, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

No my most recent back up is 2 days ago but I did a restor of the iphoto library all along the spectrum of dates from the most recent to the oldest (January 2013) and all have the same issue.

My books were backed up all along. It may help to know that I have not had a chance to work on my books or open iphoto over the last 11 months so I didn't know I had a problem until recently.

Dec 10, 2013 1:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

I just tried to rebuild the iphoto library from automatic backup and that created a mess of events with no associated photos, although it indicated it moved 11,000 photos. So i am now restoring the iphoto library from a time machine backup. I will try your suggestion of setting up another library with a different name and importing some photos. Any specific advice? How do i point to the new or old library? Will report back whether that works.

Is anyone familiar with an apple tech paid service I can call to help sort this out if all else fails? I am presently out of the country otherwise i would have made an appointment with an apple genius at my local apple store.

Thanks for all your help.

Problems opening iPhoto 9.2.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.