Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit a mp4 file in Final Cut Pro?

I imported an mp4 file into Final Cut Pro, but if I click on it or try and put it on my timeline it gives me a genral error message and says "error: out of memory." I tried to convert the mp4 file in MPEG Streamclip but it said, "Error: can't prepare the movie." The mp4 plays fine on my computer but I can't seem to convert it or edit it. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you so much!

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 12:56 PM

23 replies

Dec 9, 2013 6:34 PM in response to ArleighH

Thanks, I appreciate your responses. I do have permission, that is just what the client sent me in dropbox, so it wouldn't be such a massive file (it's 30 minutes and he sent it from another country). Shane and David, I can't open the file in Final Cut so I didn't try to convert it there, only in Streamclip. I tried converting the file to several formats in Streamclip and it wouldn't allow me to do anything. Nick I will also try your suggestion to look into other posts on this topic. If anyone else has another solution I'll give it a try too!

Dec 10, 2013 1:23 AM in response to Shane Ross

>>If MPEG can't do it, I don't think Compressor will<<

That's what I always thought, too. But a couple of months ago a client brought an HD MP4 file that he shot with a borrowed camera (he couldn't tell me which brand or model) that I needed to convert for an SD Sequence in FCP 6. I first tried converting in MPEG Streamclip and then in QuickTime Pro without success. Compressor was able to convert it properly ... go figure.

-DH

Dec 10, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

The end use is going to be for television, they are requesting a DVD. Would the mp4 file (if I can convert it to edit it) be high enough quality for use on TV? (I'm thinking it's public access in another country, but still thinking about quality). I don't have the information of original pixel dimentions or frame rate. It might be difficult to get that information but I can try and get it if I need to. The dimentions on the mp4 are 1280 x 720 if that is helpful. There will be no other formats in the sequence.

How do I edit a mp4 file in Final Cut Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.