Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages, not responding

Each time I attempt to save, I get a "not responding" error. I force quit and reopen. My doc saved all I input, but this is annoying! Any suggestions other than switching to another software?

Pages 08-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 2:09 PM

Sherri,

Try holding down the Shift key as you re-launch Pages.

Jerry

27 replies

Feb 25, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerrold Green1

I have been having this problem constantly and it's a pain because I just convinced our office to switch to Macs and this problem with Pages is causing the most agrevation. What does relaunching with the shift key accomplish? We keep getting the "not responding" circle of death usually when simply closing a window on a Pages document.

Other than that, I'm actually one of the few who really sees potential in the new framework Pages is using for editing. It's just that it wasn't up to Apple standards before it was released.

Feb 25, 2014 11:10 AM in response to tkoes

In recent OS releases, including Mavericks, when you quit an app with document windows open, the exact state of those documents will be saved. When you relaunch the app, the documents will be restored to the condition they were in when you quit the app. Holding the Shift key down overrides this behavior and leaves the documents closed.

Jerry

Mar 3, 2014 7:17 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Well I can understand the frustration of those who have been having trouble with documents from previous versions. If I had work that was now unusable that would be nasty.

However, I have not experienced that. In my particular situation I have an office manager who is coming off of an old Publisher version in Windows XP. She now has a new 27" iMac and is deep into the learning curve of a new system. I purchased Office:Mac thinking it would be somewhat familiar. However, the layout of a thousand different buttons in several rows of menus has left her completely frustrated. The new version of Pages pulls up different editing windows depending upon the type of element that is selected in the section. Even though she has never run any Mac software before, she much prefers the way Pages does editing. Not everyone is a power user. For us, the simplicity of the editing layout, even though it has some things missing, makes using the program a very good experience.

Mar 3, 2014 7:33 PM in response to tkoes

I have had quite a number of users contact me privately with unopenable files, from this version.

The best I can do is extract a hexadecimal file with smatterings of real text scattered within the code.

Of course until that happens to you, that is not real.

When it does, you too will be a Niagara of tears, and "Nobody told me!".

If you remove most of the features and hide the rest, yes there will be the illusion of simplicity but I am a designer and the so-called Contextual User Interface is hardly contextual and has been so badly implemented that it is the cause of nearly all the posts here.

People simply can not see or find things that are out of sight or deeply buried within an oddball UI structure that repeats pointlessly on each and every document, consuming screen real estate for no purpose.

Peter

Pages, not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.