Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.1 - Multiple Issues ... any fixes?

Once a year I collect all of my best photos and video clips from the year and compile an End of Year DVD for the family. Annually this is a very easy process using Aperture, iMovie and iDVD - all told, usually takes me about an hour to create and produce.

Imagine my surprise this year when I get into iMovie and everything has changed, and not all for the better.

I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure this new version out and have a couple of issues that really making this un-usable ... seriously to the point where I'm considering pulling out Roxio 😟

I'm hoping Apple either has resolutions that I haven't been able to find or at least get an idea of when they will be fixed, but basically here are my show stoppers:

• I have about 300 photos I'm bringing in from a smart album in Aperture. It seems that every 10th or so photo is coming up with a "green" screen. Nothing I seem to do seems to fix it. I've noticed multiple posts about this problem, but no fixes or even acknowledgement from Apple that there is a problem ... All photos are taken by the same camera and imported using the same method.
  • About every other photo I try to "Adjust" - all I get is a black screen?

Was this new release even tested prior to release? It is not useful in its current state. Please release a fix soon. Thanks

-Curt

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 1:57 PM

First of all, you're not talking to Apple in these forums, you're talking to other users. Talk to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

Secondly, you don't HAVE to use the new iMovie. The old one is still on your hard drive (unless you purposely deleted it). Look in your Applications folder for a folder called iMovie 9.0.9. It's in there.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2013 1:57 PM in response to upstateny

First of all, you're not talking to Apple in these forums, you're talking to other users. Talk to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

Secondly, you don't HAVE to use the new iMovie. The old one is still on your hard drive (unless you purposely deleted it). Look in your Applications folder for a folder called iMovie 9.0.9. It's in there.

Dec 9, 2013 2:04 PM in response to upstateny

If you are in a hurry and want to continue with your usual workflow I would advise sticking with iMovie 9.0.9 for the time being. I actually think the new version is pretty good but people are reporting strange bugs like yours (I've never seen them myself) so there are obviously still some rough edges.

You should have iMovie 9.0.9 in your Applications folder and your Project and Event folders will not have been affected by the import into 10.0.1.

Not quite sure where Roxio comes in.

Dec 10, 2013 8:32 AM in response to GeeD

The worst is All Events - I haven't figured out what order they are shown in - its not alphabetical nor by any obvious date and there are no View - Sort by options nor search.

All projects are shown in order of the date that appears to the right of the icon - this appears close to the date the project was last modified but I could not correlate them exactly with any of the dates of the files within the library packages in the finder. Its also not very useful.

But it is not all bad - if one clicks a particular library, the View - Sort options are available and work and there is a search window that works as expected (putting in a day of the week even finds all clips with a date which is that day of the week!). Sorting by name and by duration are as expected both for projects and for clips (name is clip filename). Sorting by date is fine for clips. For projects the sort by date the date shown to the right of project icons is not used. Again I could not determine exactly which dates are used but the result for me is chronological.

If one selects View - Show Separate days in Events then it is clear that clips and photos in a library window are shown in chronological order provided the dates on the clip filnames are correct. Some of mine are wrong because of modifications I did on clips outside of imovie which gave them a later file date. At least there is the facility for correcting these though it would not be a trivial job if there are thousands of files affected! I agree that the simplest solution would be to allow listing of events within a library by date rather than only by name.

iMovie 10.0.1 - Multiple Issues ... any fixes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.