Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote issue SOS

Just made a presentation with the keynote. When I went back to edit it a minute later, it told me that I need the latest version to open it. I can't open a file I just made. The resentation is due Friday. Frustrating!!!

iMac, I have all the software up to date

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 2:23 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2013 7:35 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I tried that, but didn't work. Apperently, there are two versions of keynote in my computer. One is the keynote 9 located at the dock. The Newer version of keynote is in the launchpad. I need to first open the launchpad, get the keynote open from there, then open the file from that keynote. The file would appear at the dock with the new keynote icon. By clicking on the icon, the file finally came out. Such a strange way to open the file....

Dec 10, 2013 7:40 AM in response to Aspergillus1

Find the keynote file in the Finder. Then Get Info (Command + i) on it. Towards the bottom there will be an Open with panel. You can select what version of Keynote you want this file to open with there. Then if you push the Change All… button underneath that it will change your system so that all files of that type are opened by that app (or version of app) from now on.

Dec 10, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Aspergillus1

Because Keynote changed so much it doesn't automatically overwrite the old one as some people may want to keep on using the old one. (That was certainly the case with Numbers where they took away so much functionality with the new one that I only use the old version.)

If you follow the instructions I gave above it will change your Mac so that it only uses the new version of Keynote for all Keynote files on your Mac.

Then when the new version of Keynote is running (It has the blue icon, not the brown one), you can right click on the dock icon and select Options -> Keep in Dock to keep it in your dock. Likewise, you can select Options -> Remove from Dock to remove the old version (brown icon) from your dock.

Keynote issue SOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.