Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive run OS X 10.6.8 and an added internal drive run OS X 10.8?

I want to run two OS X's on my computer so that I won't have to spend $1000+ to upgrade all my software. I have OS X 10.6.8 on my Mac Pro hard drive now but would like to add an internal hard drive that runs only OS X 10.8. Is this possible to do? If so, how do I go about it?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 7:54 PM

The Cheese Gratter Mac Pro (I used to own one), has room for four drive lots for 3.5" internal disk drives. It is rather easy.

<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-how-to-upgrade-hard-dr ives-what-type-supported.html>

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xGaTmz2Kk>

Once the new 3.5" internal drive is installed, you then use Disk Utility to format the drive.

Disk Utility

select the drive on the left

Select the "Partition" tab on the right

Select "Options"

Specify GUID (this is needed if you are going to boot from this drive)

Click OK/Apply

Decide if you want 1 partition, or more. If more than 1, size and name each partition.

Click Apply

Now install your operating system. I would suggest making a copy of the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" installer, as the installer will delete itself when it is finished. If you make a copy before you install, it will delete the copy you are running, and you can use the original again if you need to re-install, or want to install Mountain Lion on other boot disks or systems you own or control (aka Family).

If you have created more than 1 partition, you can install other operating system versions on those partitions or use them for data.

You should have 2 more empty drive slots. You can add more 3.5" disks. If you have not been doing backups yet, I would suggest installing additional disks in those slots for backups.

Once you have your 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc...) operating system installed, you can use System Preferences -> Startup Disk to specify which operating system you want to boot the next time you boot.

OR you can boot holding the "Option" key, and the Mac will boot listing every bootable disk/partition and you can click on the partition you wish to boot from.

Hopefully, when you boot up via the "Option" key, you will see a "Recovery" Partition for the Mountain Lion (10.8). If you do not see a "Recovery" partition, you should start over and create 1 extra 2GB partition on the new drive that can be used for the Mountain Lion "Recovery" partition.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Brianvv

The Cheese Gratter Mac Pro (I used to own one), has room for four drive lots for 3.5" internal disk drives. It is rather easy.

<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-how-to-upgrade-hard-dr ives-what-type-supported.html>

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xGaTmz2Kk>

Once the new 3.5" internal drive is installed, you then use Disk Utility to format the drive.

Disk Utility

select the drive on the left

Select the "Partition" tab on the right

Select "Options"

Specify GUID (this is needed if you are going to boot from this drive)

Click OK/Apply

Decide if you want 1 partition, or more. If more than 1, size and name each partition.

Click Apply

Now install your operating system. I would suggest making a copy of the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" installer, as the installer will delete itself when it is finished. If you make a copy before you install, it will delete the copy you are running, and you can use the original again if you need to re-install, or want to install Mountain Lion on other boot disks or systems you own or control (aka Family).

If you have created more than 1 partition, you can install other operating system versions on those partitions or use them for data.

You should have 2 more empty drive slots. You can add more 3.5" disks. If you have not been doing backups yet, I would suggest installing additional disks in those slots for backups.

Once you have your 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc...) operating system installed, you can use System Preferences -> Startup Disk to specify which operating system you want to boot the next time you boot.

OR you can boot holding the "Option" key, and the Mac will boot listing every bootable disk/partition and you can click on the partition you wish to boot from.

Hopefully, when you boot up via the "Option" key, you will see a "Recovery" Partition for the Mountain Lion (10.8). If you do not see a "Recovery" partition, you should start over and create 1 extra 2GB partition on the new drive that can be used for the Mountain Lion "Recovery" partition.

Hard drive run OS X 10.6.8 and an added internal drive run OS X 10.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.