Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No boot screen w Nvidia gtx 760 card installed

Hello

As the title says. I have installed a nvidia gtx 760 windforce card in my Mac Pro 2010. Following advice from others i used the Cuda drivers found on the web. The first thing i noticed was that start up took a little bit longer. My moniter didn't kick right on, but it did start up. The difference is that there is no gray screen with the apple logo now. It just jumps straight to the desktop. All in all its running great!

Theres only one problem now. I also run boot camp on a different hard drive. So as normal if I want to boot up in windows I hold down ALT and select which OS i want to run. But now there is no boot screen so if I hold down the ALT key the screen just stays black. I can't pick my OS now. I thought maybe i could go to Pref/Start disk and then start in target mode, but would that mean i would always start in Windows if I switched it there? I think it does, and I don't want that.

So what can I do to either get back my boot screen option, or pick my OS on the fly? Does anyone have any ideas about this problem? Please help.

Thanks for your time

Muddy23

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Nvidia GTX

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 6:42 PM

4 replies

Dec 9, 2013 6:50 PM in response to Muddy23

That is expected behavior for a card that does not have Apple-firmware on board.

--------

RE: Mac Pro Replacement Graphics cards

1) Apple brand cards,

2) "sold in the Apple store" cards, and

3) "Mac Edition" cards ...

... show all the screens, including Boot up screens, Safe Mode, Installer, Recovery, debug screens, and Alt/Option boot screens. At this writing, these choices include:

1) Apple brand cards:

• Apple-firmware 5770, about US$250** works near full speed in every model Mac Pro, Drivers in 10.6.5

• Apple-firmware 5870, about US$450

2) "sold in the Apple store" cards

• NVIDIA Quadro 4000, about US$1200

• NVIDIA Quadro 5000, about US$2500

3) "Mac Edition" cards -- REQUIRE 10.8.3 or later:

• SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 MAC Edition, about US$480** Vendor recommends Mac Pro 4,1

• EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition, about US$600

The cards above require no more than the provided two 6-pin aux power connectors provided in the Mac Pro through 2012 model. Aux cables may not be provided for third-party cards, but are readily available.

--------

If you are Meet ALL of these:

• running 10.8.3 or later AND

• don't care about "no boot screens" etc AND

• can re-wire or otherwise "work out" the power cabling, THEN:

You can use many more cards, even most "PC-only cards"

"No boot screens" is expected bahavior for a non-Apple-firmware graphics card.

--------

Feb 15, 2014 7:10 AM in response to Muddy23

Muddy23 wrote:

Theres only one problem now. I also run boot camp on a different hard drive. So as normal if I want to boot up in windows I hold down ALT and select which OS i want to run. But now there is no boot screen so if I hold down the ALT key the screen just stays black. I can't pick my OS now. I thought maybe i could go to Pref/Start disk and then start in target mode, but would that mean i would always start in Windows if I switched it there? I think it does, and I don't want that.

So what can I do to either get back my boot screen option, or pick my OS on the fly? Does anyone have any ideas about this problem? Please help.

The Boot Screen menu will not work if your Graphics card is not 'Made for Mac'.

Choosing your Startup disk using System Preferences (like you mentioned above) will permanently set your start disk to Windows.

In order to boot back to OS X (without the EFI Boot menu), launch the Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows. This is included with the Boot Camp driver package. If you haven't installed that package, then give it a try. The Control panel allows you to choose your Startup disk just like you did in OS X Sys pref.

Another method to restart into OS X, is to summon the Recovery HD at boot (Command-R). There is an option to choose your Startup Disk. It's an awkward way to do it, but it gets the job done.

To make it easier to boot to Windows from OS X, install BootChamp. The icon sits in your top menu bar and one click gets you to Windows.

No boot screen w Nvidia gtx 760 card installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.