Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Mark on Screen - Unusual Looking

User uploaded file

I Turned on my 2012 Macbook Air tonight and immediately noticed a black rectangle located in the upper menu area of my display.

The weird thing is it looks real dark but looks like it's BEHIND the screen, or menu!? (hard to really tell in pic)

I have no idea what it is but I am attaching a small portion from screen shot I took. It's NOT a "spot" but a more well forned shape which makes me nervous.

I use this lap top very heavily but take very good care of it and this worries me.

Thanks!!!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), mac air running current lion

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 8:29 PM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2013 8:31 PM in response to Ksrb

Have a pic?

If its a perfect rectangle on the LCD indications are a bad GPU or monitor feed cable (unlikely however)

location? size? Does it remain ALL the time, or flicker?

Contact Apple for in shop full diagnostic and likely parts replacement. 😊

Perform SMC just in case:

SMC reset

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

re-verify

Dec 9, 2013 8:43 PM in response to Tlix

HI

It has not flickered at all It is behind the text in the menu It's odd

I haven't tried as I had just noticed and then went searching in forum before I posted 🙂

I will try simple things first then the SMC as you recommended, thanks so much

I will probably have to do tomorrow but I will let you know if anything worked! 🙂

Thanks for the help! Will reply with answers & cross my fingers!

🙂

Black Mark on Screen - Unusual Looking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.