Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2010 Running Slow and Pulse/Click Noise (Not Hard Drive)

Hello. My 13" Macbook Pro mid-2010 (7,1) suddenly began running slow and lagging on certain operations. There is also a light pulse/click noise coming from the center of the keyboard. I am sure this is not a failing hard drive. How, you may ask me, am I so sure??? Well, I originally thought it was a failing hard drive and so replaced the hard drive, and there was absolutely no change, and the lagging and noise still continues. This makes it very frustrating to do basic, low-memory-intensive things like browse on Safari or watch a movie.

I have upgraded to Mavericks, and have 8gb Ram. This problem started suddenly about a month after upgrading to Mavericks. In fact right now my computer is lagging just typing this, Activity Monitor says I am only using 2.75 ram of 8gb.

Steps I have taken with no resolution

-Replaced the hard drive

-Reinstalled OSX Mavericks

-Verified and Repaired Permissions (I still get a message the the following item can't be repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent". But I have read that this is a common thing and can be ignored.

-Restarted the computer holding down left shift-option-control and the power key for 10 seconds (not sure exactly what this resets, but some type of system cache thing.

-Reset the PVRAM stuff ( I restarted the computer holding down command-p-r. I'm not sure I did this correctly as it went to the firmware disk repair screen.

Could there be a RAM issue? Does RAM start making noise when it goes bad? I bought my upgraded ram from ebay, it isn't the official Apple Store stuff. Could replacing the ram possibly help? My System Report tells me the RAM is OK.

Putting a message on here for help is the last step before giving up. I can't do much with this computer because it is hiccupy and overall difficult.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 7:38 PM

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro 2010 Running Slow and Pulse/Click Noise (Not Hard Drive)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.