Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the cmd + shift + q keyboard shortcut?

I've just spent the last half hour searching around the web, and have not been able to find a way to disable the cmd + shift + q shortcut on the keyboard. I find it extremely annoying, because I play video games on my Macbook Pro often and sometimes I have to hold shift while pressing cmd + q to perform actions(I have already found out how to disable the cmd + q shutting down my application). Anyone know how to do this? Whenever I do the actions in game, it tabs me out because the log out screen pops up, and I often die because I play multiplayer often.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2016 5:11 AM

complicated solution without installing 3rd party apps (works in el capitan at least):

System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts:

select "App Shortcuts" on the left and click + on the right "All Applications", no for Menu Title, enter "Log Out <your username>…" just like it is written in the apple menu, and put some key combination you will never use. (do this also for "Log Out <your username>", the variation which logsout without prompt)

this will overwrite the key combination for that menu item:

now comes the important and anoying part: everytime you start an app you need to put it into windowed mode atleast once so that this works,

like when you start up a game in fullscreen mode you have to switch to windowd mode and back.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2016 5:11 AM in response to dtricks99

complicated solution without installing 3rd party apps (works in el capitan at least):

System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts:

select "App Shortcuts" on the left and click + on the right "All Applications", no for Menu Title, enter "Log Out <your username>…" just like it is written in the apple menu, and put some key combination you will never use. (do this also for "Log Out <your username>", the variation which logsout without prompt)

this will overwrite the key combination for that menu item:

now comes the important and anoying part: everytime you start an app you need to put it into windowed mode atleast once so that this works,

like when you start up a game in fullscreen mode you have to switch to windowd mode and back.

How do I disable the cmd + shift + q keyboard shortcut?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.