Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all contact information on my iphone, how do I get it back?

I have been looking through a number of threads about this but cannot identify one that would solve my problem.

I have a S4 and don't use cloud - at least as far as I know. I have synced my phone with my Macbook Pro - and I usually have it 'hooked up' to charge the phone while working on my computer. Late last night I noticed that all my contacts had just disappeard. I have no idea how or when they went, so it is difficult to say even if the phone was connected to my Mac when it happened. I haven't tried any of the cures because I want to make sure that I find them rather than making it worse.

I still have all pics, texts and apps. It is only all the names and numbers have vanished. Any suggestions greatly appreciated as we are in the middle of a build and I need to contact people to get our house finished before Christmas!

iPhone 4S

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 1:21 AM

13 replies

Dec 10, 2013 2:00 AM in response to ravenowl

If you synced your phone with iTunes on your Mac, check iTunes/Settings/Devices and see if there is a recent backup of your phone listed. If yes, use it to restore from, contacts are part of the backup.

Also check if syncing contacts is selected in the Info pane in iTunes with your phone connected.

If it says that your contacts can be or are synced from your address book on your Mac, and your address book does have your contacts listed, your contacts will be synced again to your phone the next time you sync it.

Just make sure to have at least one contact listed on the phone, syncing to an iPhone without contacts listed will erase the info on your computer as well.

Contacts

To sync contacts with your computer, choose "Sync Contacts with" within iTunes for Windows, or "Sync Contacts" in OS X v10.8, or "Sync Address Book Contacts" in OS X v10.7 and earlier.

You can sync your contacts with:

• Microsoft Outlook 2003, Microsoft Outlook 2007, Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8)
  • Windows Address Book (Windows XP)
  • Windows Contacts (Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8)
  • Address Book (Mac OS X v10.7 and earlier)
  • Contacts (Mac OS X v10.8)
  • Microsoft Entourage 2004, Microsoft Entourage 2008, or Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac

Notes:

• When syncing contacts, you can choose to sync all of your contacts or only selected groups. The option to sync selected items may not show up until after the first sync.
  • You can select a group of contacts to which all new contacts created on your iOS device will be added.
  • Additional options for syncing include syncing your contacts with Yahoo or Gmail/Google Mail. You will need to configure it with the user name and password for your Yahoo or Google account.

copied from iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer

Dec 10, 2013 5:32 AM in response to Ingo2711

There is no backup yet because the phone is relatively new and I haven't done any of that yet. But here is something weird that might or might not be connected to the disappearing contacts - when I open messages several things happen:

1 While writing a message, the screen 'freezes' frequently and texting is only available again after putting fon into sleep mode for a while - the message that was being typed disappears.

2 When I look at the messages, some still have the contact details showing, if I click on contact info, its all there. Yet the contact is neither in my contact list, nor can I put it in there again from the message display (usually I have a function add to contacts)

Did my fon get messed up with the last OS update? I had no problems before that. Or could it be some apps that I uploaded from itunes? I'm stumped as to where my contacts have gone - the fon clearly still 'remembers' them - as they show in combination to some messages - so where have they gone and how do I get them back to display?

Could it have something to do with not using icloud? I notice that I constantly have to decline. Did I perhaps turn some Cloud-backup on that has taken the contact info off my fon? 😕

Dec 10, 2013 8:56 AM in response to AmishCake

Thanks for your suggestion, just a quick question - does resetting the phone change any settings I would have personalised?

And which button is which? I'm assuming you mean the one on top of the fon and the other at the bottom in the middle?

The groups thing I have already checked but since I don't have any groups set, there are only general contacts, no groups.

Dec 10, 2013 10:50 AM in response to ravenowl

Similar problem here; hoping someone else will comment with another possible fix. I had trouble earlier today sending texts (could receive just fine). I powered the phone off, waited aobut 15 minutes and then turned it back on. I still can't send texts and now ALL my contacts are gone. 10 years of personal and profession info seems to be lost--and I have no idea how long ago it was when I last synced with my Mac since I normally recharge through the regular power outlet/adapter.

Dec 10, 2013 12:15 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks, @Ingo2711. Sadly, I have been lax in backing up to iTunes; it's been over a year (I thought to check right after I posted). I am seeing a lot of posts from people having similar issues and a few saying their contacts came back after a couple resets, so I'm not giving up hope yet. Although I am tracking down all the paper address books I can find...

Dec 11, 2013 12:37 AM in response to CGmommie74

Don't know if this will help anyone with similar problems. I have just been trying anything and everything. One thing I did was to get into Messages and I noticed that texts still had the info attached, who was sending, they just didn't turn up in my contacts. So logically the info had to be on the phone somewhere and just not displaying. If you can see info for contacts anywhere, this might help to get the list back into contacts.

I went into Settings and scrolled down to iCloud, I then deactivated Contacts from the list. When I checked back, Contacts were all back and have stayed there too. No idea if this was the reason but I'm hoping that this has fixed the problem with Contacts. I still have no idea how to get Messaging to work proberly and get rid of the freeze.

Dec 11, 2013 12:48 AM in response to ravenowl

Glad you got your contacts working again, seems syncing contacts with your computer and iCloud does not go well together.😉

Did you already reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again? This could help with the freezing iMessage app. You will not lose data by resetting, but it can cure some glitches after installing new software or apps.

Dec 11, 2013 1:11 AM in response to angelina410329

Thanks Ingo and angelina, will enquire further about backup that doesn't mess with my fon. And just to be sure that I don't press the wrong buttons again - which ones are the sleep and home buttons!??? Excuse my ignorance, I'm one of those technologically challenged dinosaurs who grew up in a time before TV and mobile phone (yup, no flickering screen for babysitting, I was 10 before I saw the first screen of my life 😉 )

Lost all contact information on my iphone, how do I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.