Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import 1080p/60 AVCHD into iMovie

Hi all,

i have been reading around this topic, and i only noticed it as i wanted to impor my 1080/50p HD footage from my new panisonic video camera and can not.

i have see this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4769464?searchText=How%20to%20import%2010 80p/60%20AVCHD%20into%20iMovie#21118680

but i hav come up with the following, and just wanted to find out which one would keep the best video footage tru 1080p footage for editing and exporting.

copy AVCHD file to mac

right click > show package content

open BDVF in quick time

file > export > 1080p > save (this then converts the file into a .mov file with i can then import into imove)

I have found that this works but i have to do this for every clip, but can take some time.

i do not mind doing this is this will resolve better resaults when editing and exporitng in imove.

I have found a number of different soluations on online but there are all based on an application that will not be free and the free ones have a water mark on the footage.

thanks all in advanced

Regards

Georgie

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 4:47 AM

6 replies

Dec 10, 2013 5:57 AM in response to goergie

If memory serves the P format of 1080 sized video frames wasn't supported in any previous version of iMovie prior to the most recent one. You're correct, if you're using the previous versions of iMovie prior to the 2013 release of iMovie vers. 10.x. You'll have to purchase a program like ClipWrap to import the video into iMovie. The most current version of iMovie will most likely import that format of AVCHD directly without having to convert/transcode the video.

Dec 10, 2013 6:06 AM in response to goergie

I use ClipWrap which I consider to be well worth the $50. The guys know what they are doing and their support is top notch.

There is a free (OpenSource) alternative called Media Converter which others on this forum have used:

http://media-converter.sourceforge.net/

There are some special instructions about using a certain preset, I think, so you may need to do a forum search or Google search or perhaps someone else will chime in here.

Dec 11, 2013 3:53 AM in response to goergie

Thanks all,

i am currenlty downloading imove 11 which is from the app store.

looking over your comments are you saying that imove 11 update might support this video footage without converting? therfore importing stright from the camcorder into imove.

also the method that i explored in the orginal post about quicktime to convert each clip, this does work, but was wounding if anybody could answer if the video quality is losed?

Regards

Georgie

Dec 11, 2013 5:32 AM in response to goergie

I have successfully imported 1080p 50fps video into iMovie 9.0.4 by converting individual .mts clips to .mov using Media Converter then importing these. It free and does not add a watermark. You can also do batch conversions by dropping multiple .mts files onto its window. You need to instal the Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime - uncompressed Audio plugin. It is fast since it is not transcoding but simply changing the video wrapper. The website is:

http://media-converter.sourceforge.net/

iMovie 10 on the other hand allows 1080p 50fps .mts files to be directly dragged into the timeline without the need for conversion. I haven't tested whether it accepts it direct from the camera (or from an AVCHD folder).

iMovie 9.0.4 allows one to export rendered 50 fps movies. I have not been able to get iMovie 10 to export (share) 50 fps, but if you use 50 fps input for 50% slow-motion, the 25 fps output does use every frame.

How to import 1080p/60 AVCHD into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.