Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari And ASP.NET Forms Authentication

Testing with Safari 5.1.7 running in a virtual browser instance on Windows 8.0

Odd thing is happening. I can log into the Web site, then access the home page. If I try to go to another page, I am unauthorized and have to log in again, which takes me to the home page, after which I can go to the second page. Now, if I try to access another page, same thing happens.

In other words, I must log in to access each page, but then after I have logged in for that page, I am able to access it as many times as I try.

Makes little sense to me. I assume it's a cookie problem but the .ASPX authentication cookie looks good.

Safari Browser 5.1.7-OTHER, Windows 8, ASP.NET Compatibility Problem

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 7:57 AM

1 reply

Dec 23, 2013 12:57 AM in response to fchateau

Well, I finally got this working.

My problem was that my application is using SignalR.

SignalR is a Microsoft technology that allows connections to be maintained (kept open) with the browser to enable server push functionality. SignalR uses websockets as its default connection type, then falls back to various other connection schemes, depending on the capabilities of the browser.

Safari has implemented webSockets, but not fully.

So, SignalR sees the webSocket compatibility of the browser and establishes a webSocket connection. Problem is that Safari's webSocket technology breaks with SignlR, which winds up interferring with basic HTTP communication.

I added script in SignalR to test for the browser, and to use an alternet connection technology (Server Sent Events) for Safari browsers. Safari is now working successfully with my site. And, not only working successfully, but so far it appears to be 100% compatible, even better than Chrome and Firefox.

Safari And ASP.NET Forms Authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.