Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iphoto find imported photos after deleting files from hardrive?

I created a new library and switched to it. I switched back to an existing library I had icloud enabled on. I copied photos to my hard drive from the iphoto icloud shared photostream. I have a brand new iMac with fusion drive, iphoto 11, OSX Mavericks. I switched back to the new library I made and went to file and import, and chose the photos I saved on my hard drive. I organized the imported photos into events and modified some photos. I deleted the files from the hard drive and the icloud photostream, and cleared my trash. While still in iphoto a window pops up and says cant find file xyz.jpg. It is a file of a photo I deleted on the hard drive that I imported. I still see the photos in the events within iphoto. I double click a photo in iphoto and it turns into an exclamation, says cant find photo. I already cleared the trash of the photos i deleted and deleted the icloud photostream. Now my photos are gone! The iphoto support article ( http://help.apple.com/iphoto/mac/9.5/?lang=en#pht1493b80b ) says iphoto creates a copy when importing unless you change a setting. I changed no setting.

1. Is the article wrong?
  2. Is the default setting to not copy?
  3. Is there a bug?
  4. Has this happened to anyone else?
  5. Can anyone else recreate?

I'm going to do some more testing this week.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Dec 2013 27" iMac w/fusion drive

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:37 AM

Sounds like you were running a "Referenced" library for a period. Check iPhoto's Advanced preference pane to see if you're running a "managed" or "referenced" library. If it's a "referenced" library then you told iPhoto that you would manage the master ("source") files and keep them safe for iPhoto to refer to when needed:

User uploaded file

That would be the only reason iPhoto would give you that message when you tried to view those photos that were deleted from the EHD.

Open both libraries and check the Advanced preference pane for each.

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2013 9:37 AM in response to svahldic

Sounds like you were running a "Referenced" library for a period. Check iPhoto's Advanced preference pane to see if you're running a "managed" or "referenced" library. If it's a "referenced" library then you told iPhoto that you would manage the master ("source") files and keep them safe for iPhoto to refer to when needed:

User uploaded file

That would be the only reason iPhoto would give you that message when you tried to view those photos that were deleted from the EHD.

Open both libraries and check the Advanced preference pane for each.

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

Can iphoto find imported photos after deleting files from hardrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.