Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro doesn't save sound volume settings.

Hello,

I'm having an issue with volume control for the speakers, headphones, built-in mic, preferences, etc.

It seems that everytime I start or reboot my macbook pro, the sound preferences allways get reset. My speaker volume allways goes to 76%, sound balance goes a bit to the left, built-in mic goes to max...

When I log in, I set my preferences: internal speaker volume 15%, ext speakers to 80%, balance in the middle and mic to min. Then I restart and these settings reset to the previous ones. When the mac restarts, the volume of the startup chime seems to be at the value I set (15%), but goes to 76% when OS X is fully loaded. I reinstalled OS X and imported configurations from a disk clone using Migration Assistant recently.

Things I've tried:

- I have restored PRAM (though I'm not sure if it did anything because I didn't have to set my date and time again)

- Deleted related preference files located in "MacintoshHD/Library/Preferences/Audio" (com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist) and "~/Library/Preferences/" (com.apple.soundpref.list)

- Started in safe mode and then deleted above files.

- The behaviour is the same if I make a new user account.

The problem persists. Please help me.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:54 AM

2 replies

MacBook Pro doesn't save sound volume settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.