Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I save my Pages file?

I have created a new Pages document and when i try to save it, I get the message, "The file 'Untitled.pages' couldn't be opened. Any ideas why?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:33 AM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2013 12:55 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

oddly, i needed to restart my computer for another issue (i could not hear any sound no matter what i did). luckily, apple has had the insight to include automatic recovery of files and i was able to re-open these applications and have my unsaved files intact. even more strangely, i was able to save my file with the desired name after the restart.

very odd... and somewhat disconcerting. i am a pc & windows convert (recently) and i was hoping not to have this sort of thing going on when i moved. oh, the strange world of computing...

Dec 24, 2015 12:51 PM in response to danno80439

I ran into the same problem on my father-in-law's Mac.

I managed to reproduce it many times.

The bottom line is: to avoid the problem, save the new document immediately after you have picked a template you like.

If, instead, you pick a template (say 'Essay') and start modifying it immediately (say by pasting a whole block of text or deleting stuff from the original template), and then save it, Pages will barf at you and give you the 'Untitled couldn't be opened'.

In order to fix the problem, once a document can't be saved, I tried to copy and paste it to TextEdit, but then TextEdit gave me the same error message!

So I pasted the whole document into Gmail, so at least the text is saved.

Then I closed the Pages document and selected 'Delete' to get rid of it.

So, again, the correct procedure is to save the template immediately before modifying anything.

For reference, as of today with Pages version 5.6.1 (2562), I cannot reproduce the problem.

Why can't I save my Pages file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.