Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipv4 is slow Ipv6 is fast

On my Airport Express when I do a Speedtest I get over 22 on Ipv6 but on Ipv4 I get around 3.It takes forever for my iphone to connect to the network don't have any issues with my macbook pro connecting.Do I have something set up wrong?

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 1:01 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2013 5:57 PM in response to CORRY0

IPv4 uses NAT in order to translate a Public IP address to a Private one. This will take up some of the available bandwidth and thus limiting the data transfer rate through the NAT firewall. IPv6, on the other hand, does not require NAT. Presently it will passthru a router untouched.

However, dropping down from 22 Mbps download to 3 would be excessive and may be due to either a misconfiguration or a communication issue between the Internet modem and the AirPort Express.

Dec 11, 2013 9:13 AM in response to CORRY0

If your MacBook Pro is getting the rated speeds that you are paying your ISP for while connected by wireless to the AirPort Express then there really aren't any configuration settings necessary for the MBP or the Express.

Your iPhone does not have the same antenna design as the MBP. It would be normal for it to not get the same bandwidth as the laptop does, especially if it is being used in another room or floor from where the base station is located.

The only thing I can think of is, if not already running iOS 7.x, to upgrade your iPhone to do so.

Feb 21, 2014 5:11 PM in response to CORRY0

I have a very similar problem with Time Machine, except more dramatic. with IPv4 I get 3.8mps down and 2.6 mps up, while with IPv6 I get 50mps down and 11mps up. That's over wireless, and it doesn't matter if it's the 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz radio. Also, I tried to see if shutting off the 5.0Ghz radio had any effect, but no. When I connect via wire to the Time Machine ethernet port I get the full 50 down and 11 up on both IPv4 and IPv6 tests. Why would the test be different going through the WiFi receiver than it would going through the Time Machine ethernet port?

Feb 21, 2014 8:08 PM in response to CORRY0

I found the source of my problem, which is similar to yours. A device which was also connected to one of the ethernet ports at the back of my time capsule is defective. It was generating bogus IPv4 packets by the bazillions and simply crowding out the other IPv4 packets. The device is one of those electrical outlet plug-in devices that allow you to create a network link over your 110v electrical circuit in the home. Probably, a power surge fried its brain and caused it get all loopy on me.

The lesson: when you are debugging a device, don't forget to isolate it from all other externalities. In other words, unplug the @#$^ ethernet ports! 😉

Hope this helps!

Ipv4 is slow Ipv6 is fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.