Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my AirPort not detect internet?

Hi!

When I set up my AirPort Extreme, it can't seem to find the internet connection. When I plug my computer straight into the wall, there is no problem.

My modem is connected to a routher which splits 3 ways, one which goes to to my AirPort Extreme. I have tried restoring all of these to a factory restore withour any luck.

Any ideas to what the problem is, and how I can fix

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 2:41 PM

5 replies

Dec 12, 2013 12:47 PM in response to norannette

and the router, which turns out to be a switch is a Netgear FS608v3.

... and there would be the problem. You do NOT want to place an Ethernet switch between the modem and the AirPort Extreme as only a single device should be connected to the modem's Ethernet port.

Remove this switch and connect the Extreme directly to the modem with a single Ethernet cable between the modem's Ethernet port and the Extreme's WAN (circle of dots) port.

Dec 15, 2013 1:22 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for answering all my questions! 🙂

However, "luckily" the switch died today, so we have to get a new one. It has to be this way because we live in a house with 3 different appartments, and we share the internet cable. Therefore we have a modem with a switch which splits it in 3, so that every appartment can have their own router. So how can I set this up now that we have to "start from scratch", to make it work with the AirPort?

Dec 15, 2013 6:41 PM in response to norannette

However, "luckily" the switch died today, so we have to get a new one. It has to be this way because we live in a house with 3 different appartments, and we share the internet cable.

If you must share the Internet, then replace the Ethernet switch with a simple wired router that has at least 3 or 4 LAN ports. Connect each of the apartment's routers to this router. Note: You will have a "double-NAT" condition as you will routers in series but each apartment will still gain Internet access from the wired router.

An example of a wired router would be the Cisco RV180.

Why does my AirPort not detect internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.