Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the 11" MBA do for me?

Hi!

I currently own a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro, but I am considering getting the current 11" MacBook Air (with 256gb HD and 8gb memory).

Can anyone please tell me how the two compare? I'm a graphic designer and use Photoshop and Illustrator (both CS5) quite a bit (and InDesign on rare occasions).

Right now my MBP is struggling with larger files in Illustrator, even though I have upgraded it to 8gb memory.

Hope someone can help me out here! 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 3:06 PM

6 replies

Dec 10, 2013 3:26 PM in response to inedig

Considering what you plan on doing with it, bad idea

Ive owned both 11" and 13" and another 11", Ill not go back to the 11" and if I was doing what you plan on doing, would not think of it.

13" has longer batt life, much larger cells, has a SD card slot the 11" doesnt have.

your choice is subjective, but theres not enough real estate on the screen for a LOT of what you are considering doing

Yes, get 8gig regardless.

😊

Dec 11, 2013 12:08 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but neither one of the replies really helped me find an answer to my question. I'm wanting to know if it would feel like an upgrade, hardware wise, to go from late 2011 MBP to current MBA. Nevermind about the screensize, I can always get an external display. How are they performance wise? Will it be impossible to do work in PS and Illustrator on the MBA?

Dec 11, 2013 12:36 AM in response to inedig

inedig

I'm wanting to know if it would feel like an upgrade, hardware wise, to go from late 2011 MBP to current MB

Yes, I have owned the last 2 releases of the Macbook Air..

and Photoshop Pro boots (for myself) in under 4 seconds full, rather than 7 seconds + in 2012 Air... and nearly 9+ seconds in the earliest model I owned.

Boot times in Mavericks and current Air went from 22 seconds (before) down to 7 seconds (for myself)

Yes, the newest Air has incredible 802ac wifi speeds from a AC base station (amazingly fast actually, I was unusually impressed)

Newest Air has DUAL mics

Newest Air runs much cooler with the Haswell processor as I can very well state, and its rather obvious upon use and comparison.

Newest Air has incredible battery life for most, and as Arstechnica reports 14+ hours battery life in some testing. I notice 20% average more battery life than before Mavericks.

However Pre-Mavericks, the Haswell AIR had, as Apple indicates in its non-flash web and texting indications on Apple.com in I5 and 13" 13+ Hours of battery life.

So, in short, yes, a big difference between the 2013 Air (in any size) and that of the 2012 or 2011 AIr. 😉

Here is an excellent video comparison between the 11” I5 vs. I7 2013 Macbook Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqJ-on03z4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-465 0u/2

I5 vs. I7 performance 13” Macbook Air 2013

Boot performance

11.7 I5 ……11.4 I7

Cinebench

1.1 I5….1.41 I7

IMovie Import and Opt.

6.69 I5….5.35 I7

IMovie Export

10.33 I5…8.20 I7

Final Cut Pro X

21.47 I5…17.71 I7

Adobe Lightroom 3 Export

25.8 I5….31.8 I7

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Performance

27.3 I5…22.6 I7

User uploaded file

Macbook Air (13") ports:

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2013 1:04 AM in response to inedig

Well Ive owned a couple 2011 macbook Pro (fixed and sold) and still have a 2012 Macbook Pro.

In comparing the two, in honesty, my Pro collects dust (however the new Pro is very close to the Air in form factor, so now the comparison is not like what I am now referring to!)

In lugging my macbook around and in traveling here and there, I just dont dare even think of packing my Pro with me, not even for one second.

The two (YOUR older macbook Pro, and my 2012) are really night and day in comparison, namely in packing around, and ESPECIALLY in fast boot times, and cool running.

The Air is a "joy" to turn on in the morning and check email, stocks, etc......7 second (or less) boot time, fast on, fast off, lightweight.

You as well as myself know in this type of use, the older macbook Pro does not approach this ease of "quick use" 😉.

However this may not be important to yourself, rather putting it out there as a definite difference.

But yes, take the new Air and Pro for a 'test drive' at your local Apple or retail store.

Will the 11" MBA do for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.