Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to write a date in a certain format, but it keeps changing it to a different format.

I'm working in Numbers right now, and I need to write a date in this format "December 10, 2013" but when I write that, it changes to "Dec 10, 2013." How do I make the program not do that?!? It is really annoying. 😠

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 4:39 PM

Format the cell to display the date the way you want it to be displayed. That style is one of the choices, at least in the US English localization. Pre-format all the cells you plan on putting these dates into and it will be "correct" from then on for those cells.

8 replies

Dec 10, 2013 5:04 PM in response to Penopoly

In Numbers 3.0, if I type in December 10, 2013 it stays formatted that way. And that is true for any other way I type in a date (as long as it is an acceptable format); they stay just as I typed them.

In Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09), though, the default format is Dec 10, 2013 no matter how I enter the date. The only way to get around it is to pre-format the cell(s). If you are often changing formats as you enter dates and you want them to display as typed, you will often be going to the cell tab of the inspector and changing the format. But this is not typical. Typically you want all the dates formatted the same way so pre-formatting the cells is a one-time action.

Dec 10, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Penopoly

Penelopy,

type the date in numbers, then format the cell using the cell formatter:

User uploaded file

Select the date format you want from the date format menu:

User uploaded file

And now the date will "look" the way you want even though you typed in the date in a different way. So long as you type a valid date Numbers will display it in the selected format as selected by you or the default:

User uploaded file

I want to write a date in a certain format, but it keeps changing it to a different format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.