Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard won't re-pair with Mac Pro

OK, here it goes...

I have a 2007 Mac Pro (2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, 500GB HD) running OS X 10.6.8, with zero hardware issues this entire time.

With it, I have the A1016 wireless keyboard. Never had issues with it either. Yes, some slight, temporary loss of signal here and there over the past 7 years, but nothing that lasted more than a few seconds, and extremely rare.

Yesterday the keyboard loses connection. Seemingly, no big deal.

- OK, I wave it closer to the tower...nothing.

- I turn it off then back on...nothing.

- Batteries were at 47%, but I put some fresh ones in anyway...nothing.

- I restart the computer...nothing.

- I shut off the computer, let it rest a while, turn it back on...nothing.

- I check the Bluetooth preferences. Keyboard is paired, but not connected. No clue why it won't connect.

- I check the keyboard. The green light turns on for a sec then starts blinking as if it is discoverable. After many attempts, it still won't connect.

- I clean the battery port and the keys of the keyboard, just in case. No improvement.

- I remove the device from the Bluetooth pairing and attempt to re-pair.

- All I get is a gray spinning pinwheel that won't find the keyboard.

- I go to Bluetooth Setup Assistant.

- 1 device found: Apple Wireless Keyboard...GREAT!... I click Continue

- "Attempting to pair with Apple Wireless Keyboard"

- Passkey comes up 0000... gray spinning pinwheel...and times out without giving me a space to type it. says "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful"

- I click Passcode Options and select "Automatically generate a passcode...OK...Continue

- The 8 digit passcode appears...gray spinning pinwheel...and times out without giving me a space to type it. says "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful"

- I repeat every option about 50 times. Still nothing.

I have researched EVERY internet forum and have not found anyone with this same issue, nor anywhere near a solution. Apple care is long gone and I'm not paying them $20 to answer my question while sitting on a custom $7,000 Mac Pro and another $2,000 in iProducts. I'm at a loss at this point. If I knew what the issue was, I'd be able to determine if my computer is at fault or my keyboard is at fault. I know my gear is relatively old, but I'm not going to buy new tech if I don't have to. Plus, I'm pretty broke at the moment, so buying new tech would be painful.

I'm a freelance designer and editor with deadlines and limited options until my next paycheck. I'm wirelesly using my iPad as a keyboard for my Mac Pro at the moment, but it's FAR from ideal and is slowing me down.

I would GREATLY appreciate any informatiom and kind advice from anyone who happens to know how to fix this issue.

Thank you in advance!!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 4:32 PM

3 replies

Dec 11, 2013 4:06 PM in response to marcus_oz

I had something similar happen once, and I had somehow inadvertantly paired my keyboard with another in-range device (in this case my iPad) which it was actively connected to. This prevented it from connecting to my desktop.

I've also had problems with with certain desk blotters which contain metals and have experienced bluetooth connectivity issues when my wifi was struggling for a signal (your antennae crank up the juice when that happens).

Other than that, I'm sorry I don't have much.

Keyboard won't re-pair with Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.