Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When ethernet is connected to offline router, cannot connect to internet via WiFi

I have had this problem for a long long time, but it only rears it's ugly head when my Router's internet connection goes down.

It appears that when the Router is working, even without internet connection, this overrides my ability to, for example, tether to my iPhone USB or WiFi 3G service.

I have to physically unplug the ethernet connection to get the iMac to use the WiFi or USB. If the router is hooked up, the iMac says "eff you" to the WiFi and USB tethering.

Is this normal?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 1TB Fusion drive, iPhone 5, dual G5

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 4:28 PM

2 replies

Dec 10, 2013 5:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Try ordering your network Services such that as each fails, the one above takes over, if it has a network.

In the Network System Preferences, click the Gear menu and select Set Service Order.

User uploaded file

"as each service fails" --- but the iMac is too stupid I guess to know the Router has no internet connection...

I guess I can order USB-iPhone first, then WiFi, then Ethernet, but the WiFi to the failed-router looks good.

What a mess. Can't Mavericks check to see if a REAL internet connection really exists for each service?

When ethernet is connected to offline router, cannot connect to internet via WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.