Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open old files in Pages. Don't want to upgrade. Help please

I am happy with my old Pages program ... some files I created on the old Pages open fine, as normal. However, some files I created on the

old Pages (created in Dec. 2013) will not open. I get a pop up from Apple saying that I have to upgrade.

I would be delighted to upgrade and pay the $20 but I read horrible reviews about the new Pages upgrade. So I would like to stick with my old

Pages but how can I open these files that are closed to me unless I purchase the new upgrade. Inexplicably, I can open some files that I created this month on the old pages. But some will not open.

Is there a trick to opening these Pages files ?

Or should I go ahead and get the new download and take a chance. I only mix text with photos ... no footnotes.

Please help. Many thanks ..

I MAC

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 6:35 PM

Use Spotlight to search for Pages. If you find two different results, Pages - Applications and Pages - iWork, you've already upgraded without realizing it.

If that's the case, you probably have also inadvertently opened some of your old documents with the new version. That changes the document format and makes it impossible to open the document with the old version until you Export it back to iWork '09 format.

Jerry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2013 6:35 PM in response to Mr. Seek Help

Use Spotlight to search for Pages. If you find two different results, Pages - Applications and Pages - iWork, you've already upgraded without realizing it.

If that's the case, you probably have also inadvertently opened some of your old documents with the new version. That changes the document format and makes it impossible to open the document with the old version until you Export it back to iWork '09 format.

Jerry

Dec 10, 2013 7:23 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hi Jerry ... you were absolutely correct ... I must have downloaded the new version since I found Pages-Applications in Spotlight. Then I dragged it from Application to the dock where it now sits next to my old Pages. I tried to open up my file but still could not. How can I export it back to Word 09 (my old Pages) if I cannot open it. And this file will not open now, even when I have my new Pages in the dock. Or should I just give up on opening this file.

Also, I think I prefer the old Pages (Word 09) ... how can I make sure that I am creating documents in this program. I assume that I can keep it and continue to work with that. I guess the only way to prevent this from happening again is to check if I am using the old Pages before I start a document ??

Many thanks again, Don

Dec 10, 2013 7:40 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hello Again Jerry ...

I created a new Pages-Application file, titled it, saved it, etc. and then when I put it to the Desktop and tried to open it again .... then I could not. I got the same message that I had to buy an Upgrade.

Perhaps I bought the Upgrade for Pages Application but it was not fully or properly installed.

Would it be better and safer for me to somehow delete the Pages-Application program since I doubt if I will ever use it (and it got horrible reviews; I make business cards with the old Pages and the new program does not seem to allow one to do that, among other shortcomings, as I gather from the reviews.

But why should not that new Pages Application file not open ?

Many thanks for your patience. Don

Can't open old files in Pages. Don't want to upgrade. Help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.