Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plug-in Failure

When I tried watching a YouTube video, I saw the "plug-in failure" message in front of a black screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe Flash Player and quitting and reopening Safari but I got the same message. I can't watch any other type of video on Safari. My MacBook Pro (2009 model, running version 10.9 (13A603)) is running Adobe Flash Player plug-in version 11.9.900.170. I've tried watching a YouTube video on Google Chrome and a yellow bar on the top of the window said "Shockwave Flash has crashed". I've tried watching a YouTube video on Firefox and a message in the YouTube video box said "Adobe Flash plugin has crashed". DivX is not installed on my MacBook Pro. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 2:34 AM

System Preferences > Other > Flash Player > Playback

Click the "Peer-assisted Networking Setting by Site".

Is YouTube listed?

Networks Access column

Block/Ask me/Allow

Select Allow.

5 replies

Dec 11, 2013 8:06 AM in response to glraczon.support

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Dec 11, 2013 3:26 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you to everyone that has answered my question. After trying both dominic23 and Linc Davis's advice, closing as well as quitting the Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari applications, and restarting my computer, Youtube videos as well as other video formats were able to play. I guess I needed to restart my computer with the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (version 11.9.900.170) in order for the update to take effect. Again, thank you.

Plug-in Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.