Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb on mavericks

Is it possible to run iWeb on Mavericks. If so how can I transfer it?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:47 PM

15 replies

Dec 11, 2013 12:56 AM in response to Salix

You need to re-install iWeb onto your new Mac, so if you can find your old installation CD's that came with your last computer, then use these to re-install iWeb, but make sure that you are installing iWeb 09, becaause anything less will not work with Mavericks.

If you don't have iWeb 09, then you'll need to buy it from Amazon by buying either the iLife 11 or iLife 09 boxed set, both of which contain iWeb 09.

Other than this and if you don't want to buy iWeb, then look into the alternatives that are being supported and updated as opposed to iWeb which is no longer being supported or developed.

RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway Pro/Express 6, Flux 4, WebAcappella 4 and EverWeb (http://www.everwebapp.com). Most of these have free trials so you can try before you buy.

Dec 11, 2013 6:33 AM in response to Ethmoid

Thanks Ethmoid, it makes no sense to buy IWeb again so I guess I'll have to move on. But I need to copy and paste my pages from my website that has lots of pages! As I can't get my new computer to recognize my PPC iMac that may be tough!

Several agents at the Apple store recommended SquareSpace as a good replacement for iWeb.

Dec 11, 2013 9:28 AM in response to Salix

You can copy the iWeb app from the old Mac to your new Mac as you would any file. It doesn't need any installer. Just remember that only iWeb 3 is compatible with Mavericks.

But if you have to create you site from scratch then moving on to a more modern web site app is a good idea. EverWeb is one that is very iWeb like and might suit you needs. There's a demo version you can try.

If you know any HTML coding Flux 4 might be a good choice.

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

Dec 11, 2013 2:40 PM in response to Old Toad

Dear OT

I tried to copy/paste IWeb onto my new IMac, version 3.03 and when it opened it was version 1.1.2 . How could that be? I couldn't update it.

I want IWeb on my new IMac so that I can copy/paste my existing pages to a new web app.

I will try out EverWeb and SquareSpace, but not until I can ope my website on my new computer!!!!

Thanks

Michael

Apr 9, 2014 5:17 AM in response to Salix

Help! I also transfered the iWeb v3 program succesfully from my old MacBook to my new MacBookPro w/ mavericks and it works, but when I open iWeb on the new laptop my old website (which I really don't want to rebuild if possible) is not in the menu on the left. I also copied my folder of html and files to the new desktop, but when I click on those I just get the full html page - not editable. How do I import the old website info into iWeb on the new macbook? Any help greatly appreciated!

Apr 9, 2014 8:26 AM in response to VTBob

To open your domain file in Lion or Mountain Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Optionsmenu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

OT

Apr 10, 2014 2:38 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks a lot for helping OT. I'm still having trouble. Let me tell you exactly what I have done, and perhaps you can see what I'm doing wrong.

I have successfully transfered (through a separate hard drive) the iWeb program from my old macbook (10.5.8) to my new macbook pro (10.9.2), and the program works, as I can create new sites etc.

I also found the Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder on the old computer, copied the domain for my website and transfered it onto the new computer, placing it in the same Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder. I then renamed it, there as you suggested. But when I click on the newly named domain, iWeb opens but prompts me for a template choice as if I am creating a new site, and the list of site/pages does not show up in the left menu as it does when I do the same thing on the old computer (i.e. click on the domain in the Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2014 2:53 AM in response to Old Toad

Ok, I figured it out. I first had to throw out the domain in the Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder on the new computer, then transfer the domain from the old computer and place it into the Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder on the new computer without renaming it. Then when I click on domain my website comes up in iWeb. All set.....

Thanks!!!

Apr 10, 2014 9:10 AM in response to VTBob

To open your domain file in Lion or Mountain Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Optionsmenu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

iWeb on mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.