Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

universal time setting

I have a Canon 50D [without GPS accessory] and an iPhone5S with which I take pictures. The Canon50D can be set to any timezone and usually is set to my own [Central] but the iPhone will switch time zones depending on where it is. Obviously, then, when I get home and work on Aperture I need to do a time adjustment but it never seems to work. I took pictures in Portugal, adjusted the Canon50D time [ie camera time was Central but shooting time was Portugal, so adjusted in batch adjustments] and that was fine. But the iPhone had [for some pics at least] picked up the timezone in Portugal but the pictures were way off in sequence. I had hoped to use the iPhone pics to GPS the Canon pics. But it was so confusing I gave up.

What should I set the Canon to in terms of timezone and how should I treat the batch change for both the Canon and the iPhone so that the pictures really do mesh.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 17G RAM

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 11:43 AM

obviously, then, when I get home and work on Aperture I need to do a time adjustment but it never seems to work.

It is best to set the timezones in the "Import settings", Victoria and not to use "Adjust Date and Time".

User uploaded file

In the import settings you can specify, how the camera time should be interpreted:

• Camera Time: Indicate the Time zone the cameara was set to, when you took the pictures.
  • Actal Time: Set it to the timezone you want to see on your pictures.

I like to keep all cameras on UTC, independent of the place where I am shooting, so I will always remember, what the camera has been set to. And in Aperture I will set the actual time also to UTC, so I will have a uniform timebase for all my images.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2013 11:43 AM in response to Victoria Herring

obviously, then, when I get home and work on Aperture I need to do a time adjustment but it never seems to work.

It is best to set the timezones in the "Import settings", Victoria and not to use "Adjust Date and Time".

User uploaded file

In the import settings you can specify, how the camera time should be interpreted:

• Camera Time: Indicate the Time zone the cameara was set to, when you took the pictures.
  • Actal Time: Set it to the timezone you want to see on your pictures.

I like to keep all cameras on UTC, independent of the place where I am shooting, so I will always remember, what the camera has been set to. And in Aperture I will set the actual time also to UTC, so I will have a uniform timebase for all my images.

Dec 11, 2013 12:17 PM in response to léonie

I like to keep all cameras on UTC, independent of the place where I am shooting, so I will always remember, what the camera has been set to. And in Aperture I will set the actual time also to UTC, so I will have a uniform timebase for all my images. --

if both camera and Aperture are set to UTC then I suppose the idea is that on import, you set actual time for where you were?? [ Portugal] or just keep it all UTC...Thanks for the idea ref time and import [I havent' done that so far] - but so I just change Actual to the zone?

thanks much

Dec 11, 2013 12:27 PM in response to léonie

but so I just change Actual to the zone?

Yes, set "Camera time" to what your camera was set to, and "Actual" to to timezone you want o show in the import setting panel.

This will work greatwith actual cameras, but can be a mess with iPhone, iPad, if you are keeping the phone on the timezone you actually are in.

This summer, we were travelling Alaska and the Yukon Territory, and cntinously going back and forth between the two time zones, and when I imported the photos from my iPad I really had a hard time to figure out, which timezone the iPad had been set to, when I took the pictures. 😁

Dec 11, 2013 1:36 PM in response to léonie

Is this working again? For me it stopped working many versions ago and never came back though I haven't tested it in 3.5 and Mavericks.

Dec 11, 2013 2:08 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Is this working again? For me it stopped working many versions ago and never came back though I haven't tested it in 3.5 and Mavericks.

It always worked well for my Panasonic cameras - only for my Canon EOS 5D Mark II it has been behaving buggy since Aperture 3.3. I forgot, for I never use the Canon when I am travelling, it is just too heavy to carry around on a hiking trip.

And with IOS devices it really helps to import the photos while still in the timezone of the photos; that was the big problem when going back and forth between Alaska and Yukon time. In the end I simply disabled the automatic timezone setting on the iPad and kept it on Alaska time, even in Canada. This way I had not the problem to import images from two different timezones at the end of the day.

Dec 11, 2013 6:58 PM in response to léonie

for I never use the Canon when I am travelling, it is just too heavy to carry around on a hiking trip.

Don;t tell that to Ansel Adams! 8x10 view camera and glass plates packed off into the mountains in winter!!

Ansel Adams took his first long trip into the wilderness in 1920, when he was just eighteen. His burro, Mistletoe, carried almost a hundred pounds of gear and food; he himself carried a thirty-pound pack full of photographic equipment. Adams was heir to a long tradition of American wilderness photographers who lugged cameras, tripods, and even portable darkrooms with them into the back country in order to capture itsbreathtaking beauty.

😀

Dec 11, 2013 9:36 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

OT: Ah -- when photographers still used burros -- and the digital darkroom was unimagined.

“Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships" -- Ansel Adams

Adams made beauty out of what he recorded. He "captured" the patterns of light and dark he needed to create his work, which was made, like most art, in the studio.

Misteltoe seems a witty name for a burro. Probably had a mean kick.

😎

Dec 12, 2013 2:00 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Ansel Adams took his first long trip into the wilderness in 1920, when he was just eighteen.

😎

When I was eighteen, I used to carry plenty of equipment with me as well - a large metal camera bag with two camera bodies, several lenses, a clamp mount, filters, plenty of film rolls. Plus a second bag with the video camera and video recorder.

Only climbing is really not safe this way, so we could not reach all the places we wanted to see, if we would not want to leave part of the equipment behind unattended at the campsite.

universal time setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.