6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 10:30 AM by jthaler
Alan Cook2 Level 3 Level 3 (885 points)

I'm new to FCPX, having been a long time iMovie user.

I'm editing an 90 minute video of a Christmas program (which includes two 30-minute plays) shot in our church last night. All cast members with speaking parts had lapel mics; but there is a lot of competing background noise from small children and babies (some of whom were crying part of the time) in the audience (mostly the first three rows). I realize there's no magic wand that will take all that background noise out, but does anyone have any tips for reducing/minimizing it so viewers can hear the cast members better?

Thanks.

• Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (16,445 points)

Audacity has a noise print/removal function. Depending on whether you can isolate the problem sound, you may get pretty decent results. Or if you have access to Soundtrack Pro, you can use that in a similar fashion.

Good luck.

Russ

• Alan Cook2 Level 3 Level 3 (885 points)

In order to use Audacity, I'd have to first separate the audio from the video presumably... What is the best way to do that?

What about FCPX's built in background noise reduction capabilities, are they not very good? Or just wouldn't apply to this situation?

• Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (16,445 points)

Alan Cook2 wrote:

In order to use Audacity, I'd have to first separate the audio from the video presumably... What is the best way to do that?

In Export wndow, Settings>Roles as>Audio Roles only. Use AIFF as audio format.

What about FCPX's built in background noise reduction capabilities, are they not very good? Or just wouldn't apply to this situation?

You mean Denoiser and/or Noise Gate? Doubtful, but experiment and see what you get.

Russ

• Alan Cook2 Level 3 Level 3 (885 points)

You mean Denoiser and/or Noise Gate? Doubtful, but experiment and see what you get.

No, I was meaning "Background Noise Removal" in the Audio tab of the Inspector.

• squamish ed Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

To separate the audio, right click and select Detach Audio (or use the keyboard shortcut: Control-Shift-S).

As to how good the FCPX background noise reduction is only you can decide what you feel is good enough. Try it and see.

Good luck.

• jthaler Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

One thing is if the audio you are trying to remove sounds the same as what you are trying to keep (like trying to remove people talking in the background versus someone speaking in the foreground), then it gets more tricky.

I've had good results using SoundSoap.  It's not very expensive and It works as a plug-in for FCP X - fixed an interview with it last week and the results were impressive.  It will take out background noises, hiss, pops, clicks, etc.

Jeremy

<Link Edited By Host>