Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shockwave Flash

Since i upgraded to mavericks, my shockwave flash is not working. Please, what to do?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 8:02 AM

Shockwave and Flash are two different plugins. You'll need to make sure you have both installed, and may need to update to the latest versions:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

If you have them and they're still not working, make sure your web browser has the plug-ins active. In Safari that would be under the Security preference pane.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2013 8:02 AM in response to biaissler

Shockwave and Flash are two different plugins. You'll need to make sure you have both installed, and may need to update to the latest versions:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

If you have them and they're still not working, make sure your web browser has the plug-ins active. In Safari that would be under the Security preference pane.

Regards.

Jul 12, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang

A little late to this party, but I must disagree.

This is smack dab in the middle of my bailiwick.

There is a distinction between Adobe Shockwave , a platform for delivering Adobe(Macromedia) DIRECTOR content in a browser and Adobe Flash a platform for deliver Adobe(Macromedia) FLASH content.

Adobe Flash is a vector graphics and animation app that has elements of interactivity in it. Was first used for making app-like games and such, then migrated to a primary method (on some sites) for navigating on a browser page. This latter functionality was largely replaced by clever JavaScripts. The advantage to vector was then paramount as bandwidth was precious.

n Adobe Shockwave for Director was the engine that allowed self contained, full blown interactive software delivery in a web page. Normal delivery was on a CDROM or by performance (remember Steve Jobs' big announcement presentations at ALL the early rollouts? = Director). I used this extensively for development collaboration and client approval iterations.

Both players were delivered as separate installs and as a combined install.

Yes indeed , much of their NextBigThing-iness wore of long ago, but Flash ads are still in wide use, as are SOME videos' sites still calling SWF players in their scripts.

That final point is why one still needs FLASH PLAYER to work.

The defense rests.

CCC

-- Delusions are often functional. A mother's opinions about her children's beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.

Jul 12, 2014 9:54 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

No problem. I appreciate seeing the other side of a discussion.

I do know they serve different purposes, but I just haven't run across any web sites in quite some time that needed Shockwave installed to work, or to show me some portion of the site that wouldn't work without it.

Wish I could remember where I read it, but even Adobe hinted it's getting tired of trying to keep Shockwave and Flash up to date against hackers. It appears they are eventually going to dump both in favor of HTML5. They already halted all development of Flash for mobile devices over a year ago.

Shockwave Flash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.