Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with new folder but no name

I just downloaded some apps and wanted to put them together in a folder, so I did what I normally do - drag one on top of another. The folder was created but it has no name nor is there a place to enter one. I've never had this happen with this iPad or my older one. FYI, this is a 4th gen iPad with software updated to 7.0.4. I did a restart but that made no difference. I also dragged two apps out of an older (named) folder to see if I could create a new named folder with them - same problem - the folder is created but no name.

Help - any ideas??

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 10:38 AM

That doesn't work if there is no name to begin with.

This is a known bug if you are trying to create a folder using any app from the food and beverage category to create your folder. Who knows, there may more categories now. You'll create a folder with them and not only is there no name, there is no name field. The repeated advice Apple support gives us is to just hit return and enter a new name. This, of course, is like telling somebody to change channels on their modern TV using the knob if they can't find the remote. What knob? Since there is no name field, there is no keyboard, there is no return, there is no nothing. It's a very frustrating bug, and another one that Apple doesn't acknowledge (much like the repeated ipad4-with-retina crashes with the latest version of ios 7) even though many many users know about it. However, there is something you can do to get your name field.

To work around it, take any two game apps and make a folder using them. Then rename the folder anyway you want, add your food and beverage apps (or whatever app isn't working with the naming), and then remove the games.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 10:38 AM in response to BlueHeron30

That doesn't work if there is no name to begin with.

This is a known bug if you are trying to create a folder using any app from the food and beverage category to create your folder. Who knows, there may more categories now. You'll create a folder with them and not only is there no name, there is no name field. The repeated advice Apple support gives us is to just hit return and enter a new name. This, of course, is like telling somebody to change channels on their modern TV using the knob if they can't find the remote. What knob? Since there is no name field, there is no keyboard, there is no return, there is no nothing. It's a very frustrating bug, and another one that Apple doesn't acknowledge (much like the repeated ipad4-with-retina crashes with the latest version of ios 7) even though many many users know about it. However, there is something you can do to get your name field.

To work around it, take any two game apps and make a folder using them. Then rename the folder anyway you want, add your food and beverage apps (or whatever app isn't working with the naming), and then remove the games.

Issue with new folder but no name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.