Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Safara Keeps Refreshing Every Tab - SOLUTION!

For some time now when I am using Safari on my iPad the different tabs constantly reload. So, whether I have two or nine tabs open, if I leave one for a minute while looking at another and then return, that page reloads upon opening the tab. As you can imagine this is quite frustrating. I'm wondering if more than a few others have experienced this as well! I wasn't having any problems like this on my iPhone's Safari app so I knew some solution must be possible.

I just found that by going to Settings/Safari/Open New Tabs in Background and turning that setting OFF it has cured the issue! I currently have six tabs open and none of them are reloading!

Hope this helps someone!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 12:28 PM

I am experiencing the same freaking problem, and it has been driving me nuts. One of these days I found myself sitting at the airport, having missed a flight, and infuriated with my iPad because it wouldn't allow me to search for flights, as it would reload the tab every time I touched it. It tool me almost 30 minutes between finding the correct flight and buying it... Doing it on a one tab only navigation.

Thanks man.. I'll go ahead and try this workaround. It seems to be working already. :)

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2014 12:28 PM in response to BCCRAW

I am experiencing the same freaking problem, and it has been driving me nuts. One of these days I found myself sitting at the airport, having missed a flight, and infuriated with my iPad because it wouldn't allow me to search for flights, as it would reload the tab every time I touched it. It tool me almost 30 minutes between finding the correct flight and buying it... Doing it on a one tab only navigation.

Thanks man.. I'll go ahead and try this workaround. It seems to be working already. :)

Dec 20, 2014 10:16 PM in response to BCCRAW

Same problem, IOS8.1.2 iPhone6+. Especially annoying when using multiple tabs and I'm commenting or entering data in fields on different sites. The reload/refresh wipes my work. Maybe it's the site? Although I must say it doesn't happen all the time. I tried the cache fix but still the same behaviour On occasion.

Mar 2, 2015 9:26 AM in response to BCCRAW

THis did not work, I'll try closing the app if possible And try again.

but before I had IOS 8 I had 7.1. Something and my tabs never reloaded. I could have them sitting no problems and now, now every single tab reloads regardless if I go to another tab for a second. It is NOT the website, because prior to updating I kept mygoodreads pages open and they did not reload at all. I'm really sick of this and I think Apple needs a solution such as making it not refresh at all.

ipad2

Jul 17, 2015 2:18 AM in response to BCCRAW

I don't think there is an easy answer to fixing this one. I found this link and others similar that suggest that this is driven by Apple memory management techniques that prevent data storage. http://www.quora.com/How-do-you-stop-Safari-from-refreshing-when-you-go-to-anoth er-app It is very frustrating. Seems there would be a way to simply keep what you already have or indicate that a page is too large to store in memory. I have an iPhone 6+ with 128 GB storage and I have been frustrated by this issue and a similar one in the App Store (I run a search and leave the App Store only to loose my search when I return...particularly annoying if you found interesting apps after refining your search through specific terms and filters). I do think it is a poor approach and disruptive to the user experience. Hopefully it will be resolved in future updates.

Dec 2, 2015 11:44 AM in response to AlexCBoon

I have the bug on an old ipad 2 and new ipad mini, from ios 8x to the newest today.

Clearing the cache is no solution as this means I am loosing all logins.

Should I login everywhere every 5 minutes again??

Sometimes disabling Javascript helped, but than a lot of content is disabled.

Frustrating that in years Apple is not able to prevent this.

Mar 24, 2016 9:15 AM in response to BCCRAW

I have this same issue with my iPad. I've tried the helpful suggestions from this page. However, none of those suggestions have worked. Due to a disability, I have a wireless network with a Macbook Pro and iPad II attached to it. My Macbook is in a cabinet, and I use a big screen and wireless keyboard to access it. When I tried to access the apple help, with all this information, I was informed that in order to fix this problem, I would need to use my MacBook Pro. That I needed to put everything together hardwired in order to fix this problem. Being disabled this was no easy feat, and it took me a while but I did it. By the end of the call, nothing was resolved, and I was told I needed to take it into an authorized apple store to fix it. I guess they missed the entire part of being disabled and not being able to get around freely. Actually they missed everything on this support call....

Still trying to figure this out.... APPLE YOU WERE OF NO HELP TO ME. You failed me and countless others since you are not doing anything to correct this problem within your software and hardware.

Sorry IF this hurts your feeling..... but try living with this issue and getting let down everyday when it refreshes in the middle of a page or video.

iPad Safara Keeps Refreshing Every Tab - SOLUTION!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.