Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wiki site stopped showing images. How do I fix this

I spent a lot of time setting up our wiki everything was working perfectly. Then out of the blue all of the images just stopped displaying I am also unable to add any new images. There are no errors on screen, nothing shows up in the logs, and a fix permissions does nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9), OS X Server 3.0.1

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 9:42 AM

6 replies

Dec 12, 2013 7:39 AM in response to grand-no-one

After some more hair pulling, I found this in the Webserver logs:

[Thu Dec 12 09:31:21 2013] [error] [client 10.0.0.73] (20023)The given path was above the root path: xsendfile: unable to find file: /Volumes/Server Files/Library/Server/Wiki/FileData/e2/a3d678-c29d-4279-87d3-9a504916e818/Androi d_Mail-lc1JPolm.jpg, referer: http://mac.ra-account.com/wiki/pages/X752H2z/Email_Support.html

Before it is said yes the files are there I was able to open them. The webserver can't see them. I ran "sudo wikiadmin fixpermisions". It didn't work. They have read permissions for _www. I am just at a loss.

Dec 12, 2013 9:28 AM in response to grand-no-one

Just in case anybody runs into this, I found the solution. If anybody knows of a better way I am all ears. I have a Mac Mini with 128 SSD I was concerned about space so attached an external 1TB Thunderbolt HD. Its fast it works fine. I used the server console to redirect my Service Data to that external drive. It has worked flawlessly for about four months. I am not sure what changed, but any attachments or images associated with the wiki site stopped working. I fixed it by:

1. backing up my server directory
  2. redirecting the Server data to the original hard drive. Under the Server Manager (Your Computer Name) -> Settings Tab -> Service Data
  3. removing the old Server data from the external hard drive. Stored in /Library/Server
  4. redirecting the Server data back to the external hard drive. Under the Server Manager (Your Computer Name) -> Settings Tab -> Service Data

Apparently the utility is smart enough to copy the files and reassociate any paths required. If there is a repair utility capable of repairing the directory as is and I just missed it I would love to know.

Here is the screen where I changed Service Data Locations.

User uploaded file

Jan 11, 2014 8:58 AM in response to grand-no-one

I had the same issue, but fixed it differently.

I also have moved my "service data" to an external drive. In my case, the images and .pdf files were lost when I upgraded to 3.0.2.

After digging around in the config files under /Library/Server I found that XSendFilePath variable in

/Library/Server/Web/Config/apache2/httpd_corecollaboration_shared.conf got reset back to the original settings before the "service data" was moved.

So look in httpd_corecollaboration_shared.conf for:

XSendFilePath /Library/Server/Wiki/FileData

If you move the "service data" it should be something like:

XSendFilePath /Volumes/Data/Library/Server/Wiki/FileData

Restart the web and wiki server after you edit the file to make the change.

-Trevor

Mar 19, 2014 5:56 AM in response to tcl4m

Thank you for posting the followup, tcl4m!

I had the same problem after upgrading our server to 3.0.2, but hadn't yet considered a configuration problem, as I could still view most images and attached files (in particular on pages that I had recently worked on) with my standard browser, but couldn't see them when I used a different browser or a different machine.

When I read your post, I realized that my standard browser was still displaying things correctly only because it had cached the images and attached files. Your information made the problem simple to fix.

Bill

Aug 28, 2015 12:49 PM in response to WBennettJKI

I ran into this today, and it seems the solution has changed from when you ran into it.

I am running OS X 10.10.4 (Yosemite), Server 4.1.3 .

I tried editing /Library/Server/Web/Config/apache2/httpd_corecollaboration_shared.conf , but it gets overwritten on every start & stop of the Wiki.

The solution now seems to be:

1. Edit /Library/Server/Web/Config/apache2/servermgr_web_apache2_config.plist
  2. Change the DataLocationfrom /Library/Server/Web/Data to /Volumes/YOUR_DRIVE/Library/Server/Web/Data, where YOUR_DRIVE is the name of your external drive.
  3. Stop the wiki and all other web-related web-related services (e.g., Websites). The start them back up, including the wiki. Unless you’re familiar with how to ensure that Server’s Apache server has completely shut down, it’s best to just restart the computer.

My wiki site stopped showing images. How do I fix this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.