Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Presentation mode in Safari

Google Chrome has a nice presentation mode which hides all of the UI chrome, including the toolbar, when going to full screen mode.

Safari used to be able to emulate this behavior by going to full screen and then hiding the toolbar, but this no longer appears to work under Mavericks / Safari 7.0.

Presentation mode is highly useful and desireable, especially when developing kiosk displays. I built a Ruby on Rails app that shows the status of all the machines in all of our data centers using HTML5, jQuery, AJAX and SVG graphics using the D3.js library. Unfortunately Chrome appears to have a refresh bug which prevents some of the animated elements from rendering properly if they've been added to the SVG container. Sometimes they start animating, and sometimes they don't. So I can't use Chrome.

Safari has its own problems with SVG but this bug, fortunately, is not one of them. However the visible toolbar at the top of the window is very annoying, and I'd prefer to be able to fill the whole screen with my web content. You can hide the toolbar in

Apple, please put "Hide Toolbar" or an explicit "Presentation Mode" back into Safari. Even if it's in the Develop menu or available only as an "Advanced" feature.

Safari-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 10:11 AM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2013 12:59 PM in response to jeffkirk1

I have come up with a workaround, although not really a fix. But at least it allows you to not have to use Chrome, which is a battery hog for me so far in Mavericks.

The Barbarian Group has a freeware app called "Plainview", which seems to be just a wrapper around Webkit. It works as a "Fullscreen kiosk-style presentation content viewer", similar to what Chrome presentation mode does.

Anyways, it's a free download, so no risk in trying. Scroll almost to the bottom of this page:

http://barbariangroup.com

Direct download:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/plainviewapp/plainview_1.0.178.zip

May 16, 2014 2:46 PM in response to jeffkirk1

I have this same request. I use presentation mode with the social displays I develop. It took me several tries to realize that Google has this BIG refresh problem - so many issues within google BUT with the super design offerings that Safari / APPLE ususally focus on, I am so SURPRIZED that I can not get a full screen presentation mode through Safari? So it is a decision as to whether to have ugly bar at top or refresh mode not working...for social displays, there is no choice here, the refresh rate HAS to WORK as social displays all work in Real-time. So ugly bar at the top it will be, this time, until I find something BETTER or Safari / APPLE FIX this? I can assure you, social displays are the future, it will eventually be done, hopefully APPLE will do it sooner than later. THANK YOU!

Presentation mode in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.