Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stubborn screen saver prefs freeze

Hey folks, I cannot access my screen saver or wallpaper prefs. If I click on that icon in Prefs, nothing but spinning beachball - and my entire system freezes up. The only way I can stop it is hard reset.

I do have all my data backed up, luckily. Trouble is, I also get spinning beachball and a complete system freeze once the system comes out of Sleep.

Think I'm probably really looking at an OS X system reinstall... have trashed a few Prefs and plist files based on advice here but thought I'd give it one last try.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 15" MBP, 2012, non-retina

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 10:30 AM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2013 11:53 AM in response to divingdonkey

Hey everyone, I don't see an option to edit my previous post - sorry about that. Again - if I try to access screensaver/desktop at all, I just get stuck on the 'Launching' message, then my system goes into beachball and I can't get anything to respond, even Finder. I have to just hold down the power button till it powers off.

Reinstalled OSX and even that didn't fix the problem. Sigh.

Dec 11, 2013 11:52 AM in response to divingdonkey

Now I can't see my initial reply at all... guess it's just not my day to have much luck with my computer!

Basically, yes, I can still access my Energy Saver settings so can simply turn off the screen saver that's making my hard drive freeze/crash. Of course, no way to turn off my display is not an optimal solution, but I guess it'll have to do for now....

Stubborn screen saver prefs freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.