Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Sleep in 10.9 (Menu option Gray, and closing Macbook Pro doesn't sleep)

Hi All,

I've got a 2012 Macbook Pro that is not able to sleep since updating to 10.9. I've tried SMC and PRAM resets to no avail. The Sleep option in the Apple menu is grey and when I close the lid, the status light doesn't change and the laptop will just drain battery (found this out the hard way).

User uploaded file

The display sleeps fine at the set time in energy saver (which I've reset to defaults as well, no avail).

Any suggestions, or is this going to be one of those wait for 10.9.1 situations?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 12:21 PM

2 replies

Dec 16, 2013 8:27 AM in response to fkick1

After some time with Apple phone support, we discovered that sometimes Mavericks installs are corrupting the PowerManagement plist files for the system.

Deleting the file at Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist and rebooting fixed my sleep issues (note, mavericks is a little slower to go to sleep then 10.7 and 10.8).

The option is no longer grey and the system sleeps when the lid is closed.

Unable to Sleep in 10.9 (Menu option Gray, and closing Macbook Pro doesn't sleep)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.