Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove or hide 'Signatures:' drop-down menu on Apple Mail compose window

Since I never change my default signature for each of my email accounts, I don't need the option to do so when composing an email. I would like the menu in the compose window to be removed or hidden. I used to be able to do this but can't figure out how or where to do so now that I'm on Mavericks. Any help?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 7:00 PM

8 replies

Mar 1, 2015 7:50 PM in response to mccalled.com

It's been a while since I used Mavericks, but I believe in the New Message window, there is an icon at the bottom left of a new message window which allows you to customized the fields. Once open, there should be a box there to show or hide the signature field. If not, try right clicking on it for a customize window.

Mail (Mavericks): Customize a message header

When you write a message, choose which fields to include in the header.

1. In the New Message window, click the Customize pop-up menu (it has horizontal lines on it) in the lower-left corner of the header area, then choose Customize.
  2. Select the items to include, then click OK.Some items are shown only when they’re valid. For example, the Signature checkbox appears only if you have a signature.

May 19, 2016 9:10 AM in response to mccalled.com

mccalled.com wrote:

Since I never change my default signature for each of my email accounts, I don't need the option to do so when composing an email. I would like the menu in the compose window to be removed or hidden. I used to be able to do this but can't figure out how or where to do so now that I'm on Mavericks. Any help?

From Mail>Preferences>Signatures

Select each email account on the left column and remove any unwanted signature from the list on the right.

May 20, 2016 9:32 AM in response to topdownjimmy

topdownjimmy wrote:

leroydouglas wrote:

Select each email account on the left column and remove any unwanted signature from the list on the right.

Thanks Leroy, but I only have one signature in my account. I deleted it and created it again, hoping that might solve it, but it didn't.

Is your Mail>Preferences>Signatures set to none for each account?

User uploaded file

May 20, 2016 10:35 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

topdownjimmy wrote:

leroydouglas wrote:

Thanks Leroy, but I only have one signature in my account. I deleted it and created it again, hoping that might solve it, but it didn't.

Is your Mail>Preferences>Signatures set to none for each account?

No; I changed it to "None" and the drop-down is still showing up.

Remove or hide 'Signatures:' drop-down menu on Apple Mail compose window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.